Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Ocrelizumab?

Discussion in 'Rituximab: News and Research' started by jaybee00, Feb 13, 2016.

1. jaybee00

jaybee00

Hello,

Is there any reson to expect that ocrelizumab would be more effective (or have fewer side effects) than rituximab for CFS? They both do the same thing by the same mechanism, correct?

Thanks

2. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

Marky90 likes this.
  3. jaybee00

jaybee00

Thanks, my bad. So to summarize....

Ocrelizumab is humanized, and rituximab is not, but this might not make any difference; ocrelizumab may be slightly more potent in depleting B cells.

4. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

I think that`s the gist of it Jaybee00, maybe @Jonathan Edwards knows if there`s anything more.

5. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

I'm pretty sure Dr Edwards said he doesn't see ocrelizumab in the future of ME/CFS and that there are better b cell depleting agents in the pipeline.

6. Marky90

Yeah true, but which agents? I see few reasons not to do a trial, if there are no other obvious choices about.
    Supposedly we need agents who reach lymph nodes, bone marrow?, spleen.
    Why does rtx not work here very well? I have no ida, but iv`e read that to be the case, and i lack understanding of why.

BurnA likes this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member

Ocrelizumab was mark 2, even the same company is on about mark 4 or mark 5 now. There is one particular antibody in development that has a more powerful B cell killing effector mechanism. I suspect they are all humanised (or human) now. Which would be the next one to be tried out will be a matter of practicalities and politics.

Marky90 likes this.
  8. Marky90

Thanks prof:)

Interesting insight!

I guess it makes sense to wait until the phase 3-trials are done before another b-cell depletion study is carried out. Another one than rtx, that is

9. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

I'm assuming the new ones being referred to are not on the market yet and maybe not even in phase 3 trials - would that be correct ?
    If so it could be many years yet before an ME trial with these drugs.

I'd like to know the rationale or politics behind releasing a new drug. Do they wait until a sufficient improvement over an existing drug is achieved, but even at that there is no incentive for the patent owner to release a new drug. They would just be taking market share from themselves, although they may be able to extend patent lifetime.

Marky90 likes this.
  10. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.