• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

OCD, anxiety, depression and CFS

Hey guys I have been around these boards for awhile, I am trying to get some advice on hormones. I have been battling health issues for years now I am 28 now and the worst of my issues started at 24 years of age after stopping years of bactrim for acne and zoloft for OCD. I have mild hypothyroidism, many saliva test come back low cortisol, my blood cortisol is always around 15 in the morning (except one test came back high at 25 but I had to be poked twice), and my testosterone fluctuates between 400-500 and has on every blood test since i was 23 and started investigating my health.

I have been to so many doctors and taken so many supplements its not even funny I have alot of blood tests but am meeting with a new ND and hoping she can order blood tests and I was hoping I could get some specifics on what to test.

I will post basic thyroid and cortisol tests, please ask for specifics and let me know what tests to order so I can ask the ND.

Also I have been seriously considering trialing Cortef in the 20-30 mg range because I have so many adrenal symptoms and thyroid symptoms (tired in the morning/afternoon, wired at night, cold extremities, I have lost most the hair on my calves and thighs and have very thin sparse hair on my arms, dizziness, constant cold and flu like symptoms that take me forever to get over. etc.) I have been told I need cortef just as many times as being told I don't need cortef, my salivary cortisol levels tanked after an steroid injection in my neck.

I have tried T3 because my T4 is always normal but I'm not converting it but any time I go over 5 mcg a day I feel exhausted. My hope is that by supplementing cortisol my adrenals can handle the extra stress of thyroid.

Here is where it gets tricky I have tested positive for Diantameoba Fragilis, Endolimax Nana,(protozoan parasites) and Lyme, babesia titers were elevated. I have tried so many antibiotics and still no noticeable improvement to my health. I was told that I cannot treat hormones until I eliminate infections but once I eliminate one infection another one pops up, I am sick and tired of trying to get rid of the infections. MY hope is that if I can balance hormones my body will be more equipped to deal with these infections.
(most recent stool test showed no D. Fragillis but overgrowth of yeast and e. coli with e. nana cysts.)

Anyone with advice or experience with Cortef, Lyme infections, low thyroid ect.

I went to a highly reccommended doctor on this site a few years back and was given everything from ssri, anti-psychotics, TCA's, to beta-blockers, I cannot list the medications I have tried needless to say I have spent alot on this doctor and still am no better, if anything the meds complicated my situation. I know he is very intelligent but he did not look at hormones like I thought he would. He did reccommed High Dose DHEA but it made me feel weird and even more groggy in the mornings he said cortisol will just screw up all my other hormones. I don't know what to think really. Would like advice of short term HC use to get body out of a rut.

Thank you for any advice!

Here are some recent blood tests:
Iron: 67 mcg/dL 50-195 mcg/dL
UIBC: 199 mcg/dL 110-370
TIBC: 266 mcg/dL 250-425 mcg/dL
Transferrin Sat %: 25% 15-60%
Ferritin: 120 ng/mL 20-345 ng/mL

Saliva Crotisol
Morning: 5.9 ref. range (13.0-24.0 nM/L) 8 am

Noon: 4.2 (5.0-8.0 nM/L) 12:30 pm

Afternoon: 5.3* (4.0-7.0 nM/L) 5 pm

Nightime: 0.2 (1.0-3.0 nM/L) 11:30 pm

total cortisol: 15.6 (23.0-42.0 nM/L)

DHEA-S Average: 7.70 (2.0-10.0 ng/mL)

T3 Reverse: 20 ng/dL Ref. Range 8-25

T4 Total: 7.2 mcg/dL 4.5-12.0

T3 Free: 2.9 pg/mL 2.3-4.2

T3 Total: 72 ng/dL 76-181

TSH: 5.93 mIU/L .40-4.50

Free T4: 1.3 ng/dL .8-1.8

Testosterone most recent - 488 ( always fluctuates between 400-500 * doc said testosterone levvels are just fine even when i was 25). DHEA always high cortisol always lowish. T3 always low with somewhat high TSH.

* I have random fevers about 100-101 that last a few hours and then subside and mild sore throat. I am so worn out and would just love some advice.

ahmo

@bman87 Seeing as how it's now a couple days since you posted, I'll post a few thoughts.

I agree that you can't wait until your infections are cleared to deal w/ the hormones. Here's an article I just read today about inositol and thyroid conversion. (hope the link works) I'd been on thyroxine long term, and felt much better when I switched to T3 only.

I started treating my adrenals w/ chinese licorice. It helped for awhile. I also used low dose cortef for a short time, but for me, it wasn't good. Then I began adrenal glandulars, and got enormous benefit. I kept this up for 2 years. It felt like this was a way to support my body directly, w/o it having to process any other pathways. I used coffee enemas to clear liver, and thus unburden adrenals.

I also used a natural antibiotic/fungal protocol, and have written my research re the different substances in a blog, available if you click through my avatar, then blog button.

I'm listing a few thyroid references, in case you want to see what different people have to say.

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

http://thyroidbook.com/blog/iodine-and-hashimotos/

http://www.amymyersmd.com/2015/08/thyroid-health-part-vi-the-iodine-thyroid-connection/

5 Lies About Your Thyroid Disease That You’re Likely to Hear

http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroidbasicsthyroid101/a/5lies.htm

https://advancingthyroidcare.wordpress.com/2010/03/21/three-phases-of-treating-hashimotos/

Izabella Wentz, Pharmacologist http://www.thyroidpharmacist.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheRLCLabs Several Hypothyroid vids, incl Dragone

digital dog

Im sorry for all the confusion and suffering you are going through. Do please bear in mind that you may be feeling dreadful due to side effects and withdrawal from all the drugs your doctor has put you on...and off.
Withdrawal can last for a jolly long time.
I don't really know what to suggest as I have a lot of the same problems that you have. I have just ordered LDN because I have high thyroid antibodies. Perhaps you could research LDN and see if you feel it could help you. I think a lot of people feel a bit happier on it although we are all different of course.
You could try gluten free and selenium too. They can potentially lower thyroid antibodies.
Be careful with liquorice. I think it helps some but can make others very ill...I was very ill from liquorice.
Good luck

duncan

Are you saying you test positive for Lyme, @bman87 ?

Elevated babesia titers demonstrate exposure, but not necessarily an active infection; did you have a blood smear done?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Are you saying you test positive for Lyme, @bman87 ?

Elevated babesia titers demonstrate exposure, but not necessarily an active infection; did you have a blood smear done?
yes, the poster does say this - this have been treating for Lyme but new infections keep popping up.

duncan

Thanks, justy. I wasn't sure with the wording. I am curious, too, if bman87 is still testing positive for Lyme after all those abx. Also - no surprise - if C6 was done, and if so, has it declined post-treatment. Almost forgot: were you specifically treated for Borrelia, as in a Lyme protocol?

That aside, and the babesia thing not withstanding...wait, actually including the babesia thing, we share some signs. I am Lyme positive, I am hypothyroidal, I have elevated babesia titers. Other stuff, too.

I don't make treatment recommendations because we are all so different. But if it helps, once you leave the familiar landscape of what is in the guidelines or text books, we - including many of our doctors - are all more or less just feeling our way making sure we don't fall off another cliff. So bman87, you are not alone.

Many of us want to treat the source, but sometimes identifying the source is a trip unto itself. If you think you've found it, sometimes treating that doesn't help. So, you go after the symptoms. Or maybe a new source. That's providing you can distinguish symptom from source to begin with.

It's a fun mess. :D

Incidentally, Babesia is an entirely different kind of beast - I don't even want to start with that. Some advise leaving it alone unless you become symptomatic..as in let sleeping dogs lie, or whatever. That perplexes the crap out of me.

Anyway, welcome to our growing ranks of medical adventurers, most of us conscripted into the cause.

P.S. I don't give out treatment advice because I am not a success story. I am still sick as one of those sleeping dogs. The good news is that I am an exception. Many just need to find the right source or right treatment.

P.P.S. Of course, not a whole lot of that matters with ME/CFS. :cautious:

Sigh. You know what? This is a bad brain day. Bad. Pretend I didn't write any of the above.

Last edited:

Wayne

I also used low dose cortef for a short time, but for me, it wasn't good. Then I began adrenal glandulars, and got enormous benefit.

Hi @ahmo,

Great post, thanks. Interestingly, I had good luck with Cortef, but noticed very little from adrenal glandulars. Can't remember what brand I took, but that can make a HUGE difference. -- Was wondering if you've tried nettles, in any kind of form. It's supposed to be a great tonic for the kidneys and adrenals, and is considered by many herbalists to be an herbal adaptogen.

I've been getting really good results from it recently. I just take some nettles leaves, blend them up in water, strain and drink. Perhaps a lazy man's way of getting it into my system? :angel: It's been really quite amazing how it well it can begin to lift that drained out feeling within such a short time. Apparently, the effect is cumulative, so I'm looking forward to where this takes me.

Best, Wayne

ahmo

@Wayne I was using nettles for a couple years, but in the context of skin outbreaks, as I recall. V interesting to hear about it for adrenals. I have dried nettles, haven't asked my body whether it wants any for some time. Will do. thx.;)

@ahmo Thank you for the response! Yes I have taken inositol in rather high doses like 12-16 gram range which roughly equated to a tablespoon daily for about 6 months, It has also shown efficacy in the treatment of OCD, I did not know about thyroid conversion. I eventually stopped because it was a bit cumbersome and expensive for that amount and I didn't notice much improvement in anxiety or OCD but did seem to help sleep a little if dosed at night.

In regards to my thyroid I take 6 drops nascent iodine and 200-300 mg selenium, my TSH is always high t3 always at bottom of range and T4 always midrange. Problem is everytime I try to take t3 i get absolutely exhausted like I have to sit down and close my eyes for a couple hours, maybe its the adrenaline shutting down from t3 I don't know but I can't seem to get thyroid working. I have tried T3CM method and was still soo tried. I thought maybe I needed cortef to help thyroid conversion but I have had some blood tests where cortisol is high but my salivary tests are always low.

I will look into your blog for your natural treatment, I am tired of antibiotics and I have taken them for almost half my life which I am sure helped me get into the situation I am now. High antibodies to yeast and candida and intestinal pathogens as well as e. coli overgrowth. I take ASEA, Candibactin BR and GI MicrobeX right now. I also have been contemplating FMT as I have found a donor but not sure the cost is worth what I would get.

I also have an rx for 3mg LDN and I was super excited to try it until I read the number one side effect was sleep disturbance. I sure don't need more of that. Any experiences with LDN where sleep maybe improved also read that taking it in the afternoon or morning can help.

I read some of your stuff on MTHFR and have taken 23andme and genetic genie it didn't look like I had any MTHFR issues but I don't know if i interpreted it properly.

Thank you For all the awesome info and links, I love STTM and will look into those other sites as well, thank you!