Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Obamacare's Silent Constituency

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Ember, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Ember

Ember Senior Member

By Llewellyn King
    Published July 1, 2012 – 8:55 pm
    http://www.whchronicle.com/2012/07/obamacares-silent-constituency/

Sparrow, SOC, August59 and 6 others like this.
  2. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Obamacare is a blessing? (Statists and liberals think the gov't is the answer for practically every question. (I have been putting my money where my mouth is for a few years, I am not waiting for the gov't to fund the research and other worthy causes.) I don't think so, I guess I am a radical and the gov't will probably try to shut me up soon. Time will tell.) I think that it's a little to premature to say such a thing. Yes it gives sufferers coverage, now?

Who is going to develop this "therapy which relieves the suffering"? The gov't? Not going to hold my breath on that one. Ask/read Hilary Johnson book for historical context, and the hundreds and thousands who have died waiting for a treatment, and people who have been suffering for decades. Our inept gov't agencies have probably only slowed down any progress for treatments, never mind cures!

Why would the pharmaceutical companies want a cure? How would they profit after that?

GG

PS Yes, insurance companies need to make a profit, to stay in business, not like our lovely Federal Gov't which can just keep flushing money down the toilet and racking up our credit cards. What will be the end product of all the deficit spending of the last 20 to 30 years? How is this sustainable? Everyone eventually needs to pay the piper, at least in the real world.

3. SOC

SOC

I agree with Llewellyn King. Our community, in general, will benefit from healthcare reform.

SaraM and liquid sky like this.
  4. liquid sky

liquid sky Senior Member

I agree too. At least the insurance companies cannot deny you coverage with a pre-existing condition or throw you out when you get sick and they decide to limit your coverage.

Non-profit insurance is not bad. They make enough money to pay the costs of care, pay the workers, etc. They do not need to profit off of others misfortune. There are countries with universal healthcare that is non-profit and they have better healthcare outcomes for less money.

5. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

I also think Obamacare is beneficial for ME patients. There is no cure that we're going to get any time soon, BUT people could at least get symptoms dealt with, including the rather disabling Orthostatic Intolerance. And when there is treatment for ME specifically, we'll have access to it.

See more popular forum discussions.