August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

O Carol!

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by BurnA, Dec 10, 2016.

1. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

Carol Head named a health hero for 2017 by O The Oprah Magazine.

https://video.buffer.com/v/584b3854...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

2. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

3. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    What's up with this guy?

Woolie, BurnA and Blue like this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    'O' magazine has 2.5 million subscribers - this is a great coup for Solve.

Never Give Up, mango, Woolie and 19 others like this.
  5. dancer

dancer Senior Member

Midwest, USA
    Well deserved honor. Carol has turned around the former CAA into an organization I can actually support.

Woolie, barbc56, ballard and 3 others like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

He is an advocate of the mold hypothesis/mold avoidance approach

7. Nielk

Nielk

He is a patient from the outbreak at Lake Tahoe in the 80's and understandably feels that the history and science from the outbreaks which started this disease are ignored by many clinicians, researchers and advocates in the community.

Izola, alkt and L'engle like this.
  8. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Erik Johnson is extremely well known, one of Dr Cheneys and Dr Petersons first Lake Tahoe ME patients. He wrote one of the most well known articles of the Lake Tahoe outbreak and events there (its an extremely interesting article, anyone know the link to put here?).

He feels like too many of our advocates are ignoring that this illness appears in outbreaks etc. and that this is being forgotten . He found that where each of the outbreaks were.. and where the teachers were affected in the school, the areas where the outbreaks occurred or the buildings, there was a toxic mold connection on testing. (He was the first person to link the common ME/CFS/mold connection)

there is some info on Erik Johnson here http://paradigmchange.me/erik/ (he's free of ME/CFS as long as he completely avoids mold)

this article explains it more https://cfsuntied.net/2015/09/08/cfs-the-invisibled-disease/

There could well be something Eriks mold theory with this illness... as though there seems to be something genetic in my family as far as ME goes, both me and my sister got ME/CFS while living in houses with severe mold issues. (while my other two sisters who have never lived in a house with mold issues remain free of this illness).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    sarah darwins and Cheesus like this.
  9. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    @Nielk @taniaaust1

I have had a look into him now. He certainly seems determined, I will give him that. I find it peculiar, however, that he keeps saying they were the first patients, even though ME was defined by the WHO in 1969 and that outbreak occurred in the 80s.

Perhaps this thread isn't the place to discuss it.

Woolie and Nielk like this.
  10. Nielk

Nielk

I think that he looks at it that in the US, this was the first time that CDC was called in to investigate an outbreak of the disease and it was based on this investigation that they coined and defined the disease.

11. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

Except it was the second time...

Sidereal likes this.
  12. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Man, why do advocates have to attack each other in this way? Isn't there a better way to make your point than criticising someone else's efforts?

Riley, AndyPR, sarah darwins and 6 others like this.
  13. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Or at least constructive criticism if it's related to the subject at hand. Atm, I'm not sure if it is or isn't.

Riley, AndyPR, Webdog and 1 other person like this.
  14. Nielk

Nielk

The second time?

15. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Kind of like Columbus being credited with discovering America?

16. Nielk

Nielk

It was the first time that the CDC was called down to investigate this disease as far as I know.

barbc56 likes this.
  17. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

Donald Henderson, at the time an epidemiologist with the CDC, and Alexis Shelokov with NIH NIAID, investigated and published findings on the US epidemic neuromyasthenia (aka ME) outbreaks in the 1950s.

barbc56 and Sidereal like this.

See more popular forum discussions.