Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

NYT article: "Why Do Allergies Cause ‘Brain Fog’?"

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Art Vandelay, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member

Adelaide, Australia
    While this article doesn't seem to contain any hard research, I thought the claim that brain fog in allergies could be caused by cytokines was moderately interesting. My gut feeling is that my ME/CFS brain fog is correlated with the inflammation I experience and thus may be due to cytokines.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/21/well/live/why-do-allergies-cause-brain-fog.html

Esther12, ljimbo423, Gemini and 3 others like this.
  2. ljimbo423

ljimbo423 Senior Member

United States, New Hampshire
    From the article-

I have bad allergy symptoms, like constant congestion and runny nose, that came on with my cfs and worsened as my cfs did. However, I do not have any significant allergies to food (had testing done) or anything else in the environment that I am aware of. I have them 24 hours a day, 7 days a week regardless of where I am.

So they are most likely generated from something in me, all the time, not an outside factor. Probably caused by immune activation/dysfunction. There is very little doubt in my mind that an immune response causes much of the fatigue and brain fog, in cfs/me and like the fatigue from allergies, it can't be slept away.

Something else I find really interesting, is that immune activation can cause sleeping problems too, which it also mentions in the article. Here is another paper that mentions it.

LINK

Art Vandelay and Esther12 like this.
  3. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member

Adelaide, Australia
    Interesting point! I definitely find that my insomnia is worse when my inflammation levels are higher.

ljimbo423 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.