Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

NYT article on role of inflammation in autisim and other conditions

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Ocean, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    Merry and merylg like this.
  2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Very interesting!

A quote:

3. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    Yeah, I thought this was really interesting:

4. Firestormm

Firestormm

Cornwall England
    I skimmed this thinking it was a mainstream article, then I realised it was an opinion piece. Does anyone know the author? Thanks.

5. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    NYT lists the author as Moises Velasquez-Manoff. Looks like he has a book coming out. When I have more time I'll have to read the summary and see if I want to read or skim it, could be interesting.
    http://www.amazon.com/Epidemic-Absence-Understanding-Allergies-Autoimmune/dp/1439199388

ETA: I think his comment that certain illnesses are less common in places where life is more like it's historically been for mankind makes sense to me. But I'm not sure about the reason given with the parasites and such. If I had to make a guess without doing research, I'd think that lots of the issues in our environment, food, medicine, etc. in the modern world may somehow be connected to certain illnesses rather than lack of parasites and exposure to infections. But then I assume this guy has done the research and I haven't. But my first instinct would be to look to toxins in our diets, medications, furniture, clothing, air, etc. That combined with genetic factors.

Firestormm likes this.
  6. voner

voner Senior Member

Ocean likes this.
  7. Sparrow

Sparrow Senior Member

Canada
    I saw this too, and thought it was interesting. There seems to be a lot of talk lately about virus-induced inflammation causing autoimmunity when it comes to MS, etc. too. ...Seems like something that could potentially be a good fit for ME as well.

See more popular forum discussions.