The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

NYT Article on Genetic Testing

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by JAH, Dec 31, 2013.

1. JAH

JAH Senior Member

San Jose
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    Firestormm and barbc56 like this.
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Why dont people just look into their family medical history. Sounds more accurate.

barbc56 likes this.
  3. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Certainly would save some money. :)

The thing is that so many many factors may account for various diseases and illnesses…diet, environmental exposures, sudden traumas, prolonged high stress levels.

In my family for example, we ate (like millions of Americans) margarine instead of butter, for probably 25 years, yet my grandparents probably used butter or lard instead.

I guess that's kind of part of the point of the article, that there's so much more to the picture than genetic snps.???

Valentijn, barbc56 and heapsreal like this.
  4. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I like this quote-

JAH likes this.
  5. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    Some of us don't know much about our family's medical history. Only a few decades ago, cancer was not mentioned; mental illness is still stigmatized. Some ancestors died of accidents or infections before a genetic condition could become apparent. Medical history is not clear-cut.

Valentijn, barbc56, merylg and 2 others like this.
  6. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

I read this article and I thought it made some good points. Nowhere in the article did they discuss the actual accuracy of the testing - even though they seem to claim that this is what is in question. (i.e. whether the tests record the raw data about the SNPs correctly). That to me would be a far worse problem.

They, instead, focus a lot on the inconsistency of the interpretation. I think that we can all agree that with a few notable exceptions, the science about which SNPs correlate with what illness (or not) is in its infancy. Things are liable to change as time goes on and interpretations will be updated. I always thought everyone took those "reports" with a grain of salt. But I guess maybe not.

For me, the value is in having the raw data. As time goes on, the science will progress and the ability to interpret the data will improve.

I do agree though, that they might as well just sequence the whole thing.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    Valentijn likes this.
  7. Firestormm

Firestormm

Cornwall England

See more popular forum discussions.