Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Nystatin timing - before or after food?

Discussion in 'Fungal Infection (Yeast, Candida)' started by Thinktank, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + Asia
    I've been prescribed nystatin 500.000 IU to be taken 4 times daily.
    The information on when to take nystatin is contradictory. Some sources say before and others say after a meal.

Has anyone here taken nystatin? If so, what worked best for you? Before or after a meal?

EMilo likes this.
  2. Kati

Kati Patient in training

In oncology, Nystatin is given for oral yeast overgrowth. We would give it after meals and at bedtime, because you want it to coat the mouth and to remain there for as long as possible.

IF you don't have an oral problem but more of a lower tract yeast overgrowth, you might want to take it on an empty stomach, say 30 minutes before meals.

Helen, Sushi, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  3. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + Asia
    It's for yeast overgrowth in the GI tract, there's no oral thrush.

4. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I take it on an empty stomach but only twice a day (2x500,000) which makes it easier timing-wise. I don't have oral thrush either (knock wood!)

EMilo likes this.
  5. paul_k

paul_k

I've been taking nystatin for about 2 weeks now, originally 500000 units 3 times per day. A few days after starting I started to feel very stressed out and wired and my sleep went to sh1t. Not making the die off connection due to the volume of supplements I'm on i increased the dose and bang I felt terrible. Part of feeling awful is I've felt sick to my stomach for the past 2 days. I am easing back to my starting dose or might stop for a couple of days.
    It seems hard on the stomach too I feel nauseous after taking it. Might try it with food for a few days instead of on an empty stomach...

EMilo and actup like this.
  6. Mel9

Mel9 Senior Member

NSW Australia
    My doctor advised me to take it immediately after eating

EMilo likes this.
  7. paul_k

paul_k

Thanks @Mel9 im trying that for a few days to see how I go

Mel9 likes this.
  8. Cozi

Cozi

UK
    I was told to take it on an empty stomach before meals but it totally goes to my head - I get dizzy and a huge headache. The first dose (one sip of half a teaspoon in a full glass of water) made me pass out. A week later and I'm down to1/8 of a tsp in a glass of water, one sip a day and I still have to fight the urge to faint.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this type of reaction?

9. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

I have never taken nystatin, but this seems like a rather extreme reaction to have to a med. Have you talked to your dr. about it?

10. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    My doc just gave me a prescription for nystatin so your experience has caused me pause.

11. Cozi

Cozi

UK
    Sorry, don't want to worry anyone! And thank you for the replies. My doc is away so I can't see him for a fortnight, but things have got better. I took the dosage down to 1/16th of a tsp and manage to have a couple of sips a day. I'm hoping to be able to up it soon. Can't say I've felt any better, or had any kind of Herx ( maybe the dose is still too low) It still sort of goes to my head but the effect is only very temporary now. Maybe I should stop taking it, don't know. Thanks anyway and good luck @ScottTriGuy !

Mel9 and ScottTriGuy like this.
  12. EMilo

EMilo Elizabethmilo.com

Seattle, WA
    The tablets in the US are standarised at 500,000iu, but if you're taking a similar powder formula to the one Dr. Myhill's page describes, 1/16th of a tsp is the same as one 500,000iu tablet that you can get here in America (http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Nystatin_-_how_to_take_it). I'm pointing this out for the people who might be given pause by your reactions, @Cozi . I'm about to start Nystatin and I was thinking of cutting the tablet because I'm very sensitive, but the fact that Dr. Myhill has her patients shooting for 20 million iu/day (!!) makes me feel more confident about starting at 500,00iu.

See more popular forum discussions.