1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

NY Times does it again!! New article "Big Splash"

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by _Kim_, Nov 11, 2009.

1. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

November 11, 2009

A Big Splash From an Upstart Medical Center

[​IMG]

Thanks to misskoji who posted this on the Media Links thread
  2. Aftermath

Aftermath Guest

Thank You

Kim,

Thank you for both the post itself and your outstanding use of the forum features. I know that many of our users have serious cognitive issues that make this type of stuff very difficult for them. Still, I wish that everyone would at least try (at least for the mental exercise, which all of us could use a little more of).

The 90% follow up is the most interesting part of this article. I can't wait to hear more specifics. Is it because of a refined PCR test, or antibodies? If it is the latter, are those patients beyond help--in other words, has the virus done its damage and left (the Dubbo "hit and run" theory).

It's such an exciting time for us. Thanks again for your post.
  3. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    WTF? (pardon my French)

You go Annette! Love the Reeves put-down.

Sounds like my kind of doc - lol!
  4. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

I would let bartender Judy mix me up an antiretroviral cocktail anyday. Salut!

Note that this article is in the -Giving- section of the Times. Those editors are smart. They are making sure that they hit every angle on this story. From Science, to Health, to Philanthropy. Readers from all persuasions are going to know about WPI and XMRV. Go NY TIMES!!
  5. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Aw, gee. I guess I'm getting the hang of the features. I still don't know what the # <> and php icons are used for. And I would like some new smilie options ;) if you please Mr. Administrator.

I took this to reflect what Dr. Petersen spoke about at the CFSAC.
  6. Marylib

Marylib Senior Member

New Zealand
    Dr Judy at the bar

I knew this woman had talked to tough customers before.
  7. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

The irony here is that she left the bar to go work with a group of patients who frequently have alcohol intolerance as one of their symptoms.
  8. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Love it!!!! Go Whittemore! Go Dr Dan, Dr Judy! Revolutionize the medical world, amaze us some more!!!
  9. Marylib

Marylib Senior Member

New Zealand
    Secret website?

What is this all about? Have I missed a thread?
  10. garcia

garcia Aristocrat Extraordinaire

London, UK
    OMG! I knew there was something special about this woman.

Talk about serendipity too. Its almost like it was karma that all this would happen.
  11. Advocate

Advocate Senior Member

U.S.A.
    E-mail this article to everyone you know!

Easy political action:

If you will go to the New York Times article and click on "E-mail" you can send this article to everyone you know. You can send up to 20 at a time.

As you probably know, this will put the article on their "most e-mailed" list, and others who have no interest in CFS will be curious enough to read it.

The url for the article is:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/12/g... Splash From an Upstart Medical Center&st=cse

I'll try to figure out how to make the url small. I believe Aftermath explained the process in an earlier post.
  12. zoe.a.m.

zoe.a.m. Senior Member

Olympic Peninsula, Washington
    Aw Snap!

Reeves had better watch it: he's under just the kind of stressors that might cause this illness! I bet there's nothing like waking up to the NYT and finding your name next to a lump of bs pseudoscience! I quite like how the reporter was understated in the criticism of Reeves and instead chose to concentrate on the wonderful family connections (making his theories look even more ridiculous).

And boy, did this need to be said:
    Thanks Marylib, this really cracked me up!

Wow, every time my spirits dip a bit over the wait for more research info, the NYT gives me a break! I feel punch-drunk on vindication these days instead of marginalization...!
  13. hvs

hvs Senior Member

Very well done!
    I think the paragraph with Reeves in it shows him in about as negative a light as the author dared.
    Again, as Advocate and others have mentioned, don't forget to email the article to someone to bump it up onto the "most emailed" list. :)
  14. Summer

Summer Senior Member

Yes, thank you! I am away from home and on very slow connection, so I have been thrilled that so many are adding to the Media Links thread! This was a great article. :)
  15. misskoji

misskoji Guest

Kim

Thank you. I have to agree, you formatted that perfectly.

Isn't this just awesome?!!! All the press and recognition is astounding and so very welcomed. I just hope it continues.
  16. kolowesi

kolowesi Senior Member

Central Texas
    Kim NY Times article

Thank you so much for posting this.

And for all the great comments, which make me laugh and feel proud.

I can't believe Dr. JM found her way to us, and that she knew on hearing about the lymphomas what to look for!!

Thanks to the NYTimes for being our champion. (Boo to the Washington Post who removed all the comments to their opinion piece -- was it because of a mention that insurance companies had a lot to lose?)

Wishing I could remember that Bob Dylan quote about things changing,
    Kelly
  17. Jerry S

Jerry S Senior Member

Chicago
    Washington Post

Needless to say, I emailed this article to the Washington Post, which still hasn't given XMRV any real coverage.

And, of course, everyone else I knew.
  18. Quilp

Quilp Senior Member

'Times they are a changin'

Re Bob Dillon :)))
  19. Katie

Katie Guest

I am right in thinking that XMRV and the lovely folks at the WPI getting a second outing in the New York Times is pretty huge, yes? Enlighten me for I am just a simple lass from Blighty :D

The whole world has heard of the NYT, getting a follow-up story seems so bloomin' cool, I'm excited!
  20. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Kelly, I don't know if you were thinking of the lyrics to The Times They Are A-Changing. They sure are apropos to our cause and hardly bely the 1963 date of their writing. Thanks Bob.

The Times They Are A-Changin'

Come gather 'round people
    Wherever you roam
    And admit that the waters
    Around you have grown
    And accept it that soon
    You'll be drenched to the bone.
    If your time to you
    Is worth savin'
    Then you better start swimmin'
    Or you'll sink like a stone
    For the times they are a-changin'.