1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Part 2: Brain Cells Making us Sick? Messed up microglia could be driving symptoms
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, might be overactive and driving the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

NY Times Article: The Voices of Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia' started by Wayne, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi All,

There was an article in the NY Times on Wednesday (3/3/10) entitled, "The Voices of Fibromyalgia". Somebody posted this on the forum yesterday, but I can't seem to find the original thread. Thank you to the person who was kind enough to bring this to our attention.

I would highly recommend checking out this article, as there are now close to 200 comments posted online. The first comment is critical of FM in general, and a few early posts support this poster/doctor. Many followup comments are very good however, with many of them articulately refuting the psychologiizing of FM and/or ME/CFS.

I especially liked the following reply:

2. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    OMG! I know Daniel Light! He worked for many years with Matt Van Benschoten--my TCM guy until I couldn't go to LA anymore.

Matt is by far absolutely THE BEST TCM practitioner in the world. I am not exaggerating. And Daniel was trained in part by him.

I am really glad Daniel posted this.

Thanks Wayne, for bringing it to my attn.
  3. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

nyTimes Patient Voices: Fibromyalgia

Patient Voices: Fibromyalgia

With its generalized symptoms of pain, fatigue and digestive issues, fibromyalgia can often hide as something else for many years. Worse, some professionals doubt the existence of this condition, which can also cause chest pains, brain fog and depression. Here, six men and women speak about living with fibromyalgia. (Join the discussion here.)
  4. starryeyes

starryeyes Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    The first few people were good to listen to but then some of them start saying things that sound like they asked Wessely or Reeves what to say. I had to stop listening as I found myself getting angry. The final straw was that lady who said she felt like she had been Dx with the Yuppie Flu. :rolleyes:
  5. andreamarie

andreamarie Senior Member

The comments from most patients were excellent though. I made two. Also the Q and A by Dr. Clauwes was excellent. I don't think most people read it. He talked about seeing changes on MRI's on FMS patients brains. The more comments the better. The NYT has given a lot of coverage to CFS and FMS. No other newspaper has.
  6. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    No - Giovanni Maciocia is the best! His treatment led to my recovery in the 1980s. But now he's moved to California :Retro mad:

If any of you over there get a chance to see him - you must!

Jenny
  7. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    I'm so glad there is someone else that fits the definition of "the best."
    I'm in CA, but have never heard of Maciocia.
  8. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London

See more popular forum discussions.