• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NY Times article - DNA Double Take

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
Link to a NY Times article multiple genomes being found more and more often in a single person:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/17/science/dna-double-take.html

A short extract:
From biology class to “C.S.I.,” we are told again and again that our genome is at the heart of our identity.
But scientists are discovering that — to a surprising degree — we contain genetic multitudes. Not long ago, researchers had thought it was rare for the cells in a single healthy person to differ genetically in a significant way. But scientists are finding that it’s quite common for an individual to have multiple genomes. Some people, for example, have groups of cells with mutations that are not found in the rest of the body. Some have genomes that came from other people.
Scientists are finding links from multiple genomes to certain rare diseases, and now they’re beginning to investigate genetic variations to shed light on more common disorders.

xchocoholic

This gives a whole new meaning to multiple personality disorder. ; )

So does this mean that as the youngest of 5 children, I could have dna from each of my siblings ?

I wonder how else our dna are affected.

Interesting research. Tx for posting this. X

Iquitos

natasa778

re "Later studies added support to the idea that cancer is a result of mutations in specific cells." - this actually may not be so, say the very latest studies :) In fact many genetic mutations found in various diseases may well turn out to be false positives (ie not linked to pathology at all). Wait and see ...

... specific precautions need to be taken in scientific analysis to account for the varying rates of mutations across genes in order to avoid false positives in cancer research. They state quite clearly that they believe a large number of genes which have reportedly been associated with various types of cancers are in fact not causally related to the conditions but are, in short, coincidental. Especially in the case of a disease like cancer which is characterized by a progressively disturbed and destabilized genome.. ...

lansbergen

Question nummer one; in the case of Y chromosomes in women, do these cells have 2 X and one Y or 1 X and one Y