1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hunting down the cause of ME/CFS & other challenging disorders - Lipkin in London
In a talk to patients in London on 3rd September, Dr. W. Ian Lipkin described the extraordinary lengths he and his team are prepared to go to in order to track down the source of an illness, with examples ranging from autism to the strange case of Kawasaki disease.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Nuun electrolyte drink - any experiences or thoughts about the ingredients?

Discussion in 'Problems Standing: Orthostatic Intolerance; POTS' started by Sasha, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Nuun is a company that makes tablets that you dissolve in water to make electrolyte drinks. Dan Moricoli (one of Dr Klimas's patients) mentioned that he takes them to try to keep hydrated. I got some to try last week and used them on a day when I was trying a 500 calorie fast.

I found this stuff palatable in a way that I haven't found other electrolyte drinks such as Gatorade. I wouldn't drink Nuun for fun but it's not horrible either. It doesn't contain sugar, which I thought was a good thing, but it contains sorbitol, which is a sugar alcohol.

I wondered if I should be concerned about any of the ingredients, including sorbitol. Presumably they're all in small amounts. They're as follows:

Active Ingredients
    Sodium (carbonates)
    Potassium (bicarbonate)
    Magnesium (sulfate)
    Calcium (carbonate)
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin B2
    level (mg)
    500 mcg

Other ingredients: citric acid, sorbitol, sodium carbonate, natural colors flavors, sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate, polyethylene glycol, magnesium sulfate, sodium benzoate, calcium carbonate, acesulfame potassium, riboflavin-5-phosphate.

Must admit I'd rather be drinking something natural like coconut water but it's incredibly expensive in the UK, at least - it's £3.50/litre - and although it's big on potassium I don't know that it's got the other electrolytes.

2. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    I used Nuun but it ended up having too little potassium so too expensive for me. Compare with other solutions plus I have to order it online. I prefer to buy the pedyalite powder to travel. In the day to day I am trying potassium pills now. Nuun was the best tasting one of all the solutions I tried, so I would add potasium powder to overcome how low the number was.

Sasha and ahimsa like this.
  3. Rooney

Rooney

SE USA
    As I have the Nuun tablets, how much potassium should there be? Many thanks.

4. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    well I do pedyalite which have 700 and some mg and the doctor told me it was not enough. So I think I am trying for at least 1500 mg ( I do a banana a day which gives me 400 and some). But Is about monitoring your levels to know how much do you need. I take florinef and that depletes potasium, so I might need more than somebody that does not take that.

ahimsa likes this.
  5. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    sorbitol will irritate IBS as will anything ending in -itol
    mny of us make a home breo with jsut salt and potassium in water and that works... and an unsweetened coconut water is good for electrolyte replacement - as is the Vietnames soup Pho - (but don t drink it too hot or it will exaceerbate EDS symptoms)

Sasha likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.