1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Nuun electrolyte drink - any experiences or thoughts about the ingredients?

Discussion in 'Problems Standing: Orthostatic Intolerance; POTS' started by Sasha, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Nuun is a company that makes tablets that you dissolve in water to make electrolyte drinks. Dan Moricoli (one of Dr Klimas's patients) mentioned that he takes them to try to keep hydrated. I got some to try last week and used them on a day when I was trying a 500 calorie fast.

I found this stuff palatable in a way that I haven't found other electrolyte drinks such as Gatorade. I wouldn't drink Nuun for fun but it's not horrible either. It doesn't contain sugar, which I thought was a good thing, but it contains sorbitol, which is a sugar alcohol.

I wondered if I should be concerned about any of the ingredients, including sorbitol. Presumably they're all in small amounts. They're as follows:

Active Ingredients
    Sodium (carbonates)
    Potassium (bicarbonate)
    Magnesium (sulfate)
    Calcium (carbonate)
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin B2
    level (mg)
    500 mcg

Other ingredients: citric acid, sorbitol, sodium carbonate, natural colors flavors, sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate, polyethylene glycol, magnesium sulfate, sodium benzoate, calcium carbonate, acesulfame potassium, riboflavin-5-phosphate.

Must admit I'd rather be drinking something natural like coconut water but it's incredibly expensive in the UK, at least - it's £3.50/litre - and although it's big on potassium I don't know that it's got the other electrolytes.

2. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    I used Nuun but it ended up having too little potassium so too expensive for me. Compare with other solutions plus I have to order it online. I prefer to buy the pedyalite powder to travel. In the day to day I am trying potassium pills now. Nuun was the best tasting one of all the solutions I tried, so I would add potasium powder to overcome how low the number was.

Sasha and ahimsa like this.
  3. Rooney

Rooney

SE USA
    As I have the Nuun tablets, how much potassium should there be? Many thanks.

4. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    well I do pedyalite which have 700 and some mg and the doctor told me it was not enough. So I think I am trying for at least 1500 mg ( I do a banana a day which gives me 400 and some). But Is about monitoring your levels to know how much do you need. I take florinef and that depletes potasium, so I might need more than somebody that does not take that.

ahimsa likes this.
  5. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    sorbitol will irritate IBS as will anything ending in -itol
    mny of us make a home breo with jsut salt and potassium in water and that works... and an unsweetened coconut water is good for electrolyte replacement - as is the Vietnames soup Pho - (but don t drink it too hot or it will exaceerbate EDS symptoms)

Sasha likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.