• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NutrEval Test - any recommendations or caveats?

ebethc

Hi

My doc suggested that I get a NutrEval test. It's super expensive, and I'm wondering if it's worth it. If you've had it and would like to share your feedback - pro & con - I would really appreciate it.

thanks

Avalon

I would also like to know, as it is very expensive and will only give a snap shot of your bodies nutrient and biological functioning at that moment in time. Would you then need to retest at later date or perhaps maybe just testing those areas which are suspect..[/quote]

Last edited:

ebethc

@Avalon - so, you've had the test? What was your experience? Did it help you? that's really what I'm asking. thanks.

Critterina

I had it, only they missed my vials for the amino acid. (They sent a replacement, but I was away at work, so wasn't able to resubmit within the 30 days they allow for free re-dos.)

It did point out deficiency in B2, which I probably would have missed, and CoQ10, which I've stopped anyway. Not sure if that was what was raising my pulse/blood pressure, but I'm going to work on leaky gut for a few months, then try again.

As for it being a snapshot - what else could it be? You can't really ask for a moving picture.

I think the value depends on what other tests you have had. And whether you have insurance. I do like that they make recommendations. I don't like the red-yellow-green presentation.

Avalon

I had it, only they missed my vials for the amino acid. (They sent a replacement, but I was away at work, so wasn't able to resubmit within the 30 days they allow for free re-dos.)

It did point out deficiency in B2, which I probably would have missed, and CoQ10, which I've stopped anyway. Not sure if that was what was raising my pulse/blood pressure, but I'm going to work on leaky gut for a few months, then try again.

As for it being a snapshot - what else could it be? You can't really ask for a moving picture.

I think the value depends on what other tests you have had. And whether you have insurance. I do like that they make recommendations. I don't like the red-yellow-green presentation.[/quote

Do you think it would be worth the money, I think its about $800?

Critterina

Yikes, that's a lot! I had insurance, so I paid $159 and they agreed to accept whatever more my insurance paid. Last year.
I think I would look into other options, maybe more targeted at what I thought might be wrong.

caledonia

Hi

My doc suggested that I get a NutrEval test. It's super expensive, and I'm wondering if it's worth it. If you've had it and would like to share your feedback - pro & con - I would really appreciate it.

thanks

I paid out of pocket for mine - like $700?. When interpreted with the Nutreval Interpretation Guide (linked in my signature below) this test will give you loads of valuable information and a guide for treatment. That, in conjunction with SNPs testing, will get you started on the right foot.

As far as taking the Nutreval test itself, I used Any Lab Test Now, a chain of independent labs. Also you have to fast, which made me very woozy once they drew the blood, but I made it through. I had some OJ and food in the car to help me recover (and, of course, a driver to transport my body back home). :)

ebethc

@caledonia - thanks, that's helpful! the 23andme has been really insightful, although not easy to interpret... Even my doc said she thought my genes were complicated... I think that I'll take the plunge w the Nutraval, but it's a matter of when

Cheesus

I think the ability to interpret can make or break the usefulness of the test. I know they send some interpretation with it, but it needs to be done in the context of your specific history and with other tests in mind. I am about to have the NutrEval done and I have an experienced doctor who is doing the interpretation for me. She is also running an immune reactivity panel for environmental toxins from Cyrex Labs. Really expensive stuff but hopefully I can get some really useful information!

@caledonia Have you seen some good improvements following your investigations?

ebethc

@Cheesus - thanks, good advice re doctor... I work w an integrative doctor who I've seen off & on since the 90's... She has really been immersing herself in genetic / methylation protocols, so I'm lucky to have someone who knows me so well and is knowledgable in 23andme results.... I have hope for the genetic path, and she recommended the nutraval as a next step..

thanks.

caledonia

@caledonia - thanks, that's helpful! the 23andme has been really insightful, although not easy to interpret... Even my doc said she thought my genes were complicated... I think that I'll take the plunge w the Nutraval, but it's a matter of when

Which is why I wrote the SNPs Interpretation Guide, linked in my signature below. It's still not totally cut and dried, of course, but try giving it a read if you haven't done so already.

caledonia

I think the ability to interpret can make or break the usefulness of the test. I know they send some interpretation with it, but it needs to be done in the context of your specific history and with other tests in mind. I am about to have the NutrEval done and I have an experienced doctor who is doing the interpretation for me. She is also running an immune reactivity panel for environmental toxins from Cyrex Labs. Really expensive stuff but hopefully I can get some really useful information!

@caledonia Have you seen some good improvements following your investigations?

Yes, improvements in thyroid and adrenal function (my thyroid is actually completely healed from autoimmune thyroiditis), mercury detoxed, other metals still coming out, improvement in sleep cycle, small but noticeable improvement in energy and PEM. So far have gone from about 25% to 30% on Bell's Disability Scale.

Cheesus

Yes, improvements in thyroid and adrenal function (my thyroid is actually completely healed from autoimmune thyroiditis), mercury detoxed, other metals still coming out, improvement in sleep cycle, small but noticeable improvement in energy and PEM. So far have gone from about 25% to 30% on Bell's Disability Scale.

That sounds positive! Fingers crossed for the future.

ebethc

@caledonia - great to hear that your thyroid/adrenal function is restored. I'm hypothyroid (dx 2009, but it prob started 10 years before that), and have had cortisol problems since the I was a kid... Did you restore function primarily by following genetic protocols? Was there anything that was the big breakthrough? I've done a lot, and there are many who are the same, but I'm hoping that the CBS/BHMT protocol (incl diet) will help heal and be a breakthrough. thanks.

ebethc

@caledonia - I am reading your SNP interpretation guide - thanks for writing this! very helpful. Can you tell me where to get BH4 supplements? I have the "double whammy" SNPs.. thanks.

caledonia

@caledonia - I am reading your SNP interpretation guide - thanks for writing this! very helpful. Can you tell me where to get BH4 supplements? I have the "double whammy" SNPs.. thanks.

There is some good info on this thread at MTHFR.net - http://mthfr.net/forums/topic/bh4-supplement-for-a1298c/
Be sure to read Heartfixer for dosing and timing (like don't supplement with BH4 until you have all the other supplements in place). There are also some caveats and helpful hints on the MTHFR.net thread.

ebethc

@caledonia - how do you detox for CYP & SOD is you can't eat cruciferous veggies? I just started taking managnese (cofactor for SOD)

caledonia

@caledonia - how do you detox for CYP & SOD is you can't eat cruciferous veggies? I just started taking managnese (cofactor for SOD)

Basically, do everything, except avoid the cruciferous veggies. Generally eating fruits and vegetables (which are not cruciferous), multivitamin and multimineral supplements to cover any deficiencies, making sure to take any co-factors, raising glutathione (via increasing methylation). Avoiding the toxins that are detoxified by those pathways.

Are you doing a CBS protocol, or what is the problem with the cruciferous veggies?