• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NutrEval Results - Opinion Please? - Rich?

nanonug

I'm assuming you started taking this after everything got balanced or is this what works for your protocol?

The "Multi t/d" is basic sustenance for both me and my wife. But due to still some unresolved issues, I need to overdrive the methylation cycle, in an attempt to get rid of as much histamine as possible. I also take tons of many others things such as for example ubiquinol, R-lipoic acid, acetyl-glutathione, curcumin, TMG, extra methylcobalamin and sustained-release vitamin C. There is a very good chance that I might not need may of the things I take. However, after a few good years, I had a recent relapse due to some yet undetermined gut issue and I just decided to go "nuclear" based on the info I accumulated before, together with all the new ideas by people here such as Fredd and richvank.

Hey Rich,

I was about to submit an order for the additional supplements that were discussed in this thread. One thing I forgot to ask is what your thoughts on supplementing with glutathione? The stuff that was recommended to me is around $70 per bottle and certainly don't want to spend the money if it's not needed.

Thank you

hixxy

I can probably reply to this on Rich's behalf.

For the majority of us glutathione supplementation is a great adjunct to this kind of therapy. There is however a small number of us who cannot tolerate supplemental glutathione. The only way to find out is to give it a go.

hixxy

richvank

Hi, steelfan.

I'm not sure of the proportions, but as hixxy wrote, some do well with glutathione, and some can't tolerate it. I think it may depend on the person's NADPH level. If that is low, they are not able to recycle glutathione very rapidly when it has become oxidized, and that can increase the oxidative stress.

Best regards,

Rich

hixxy

That's interesting rich, that's the first time I've heard that one. New theory? The only other theories I've come across are:

Fredd's theory with glutathione complexing with cobalamin and it being excreted
Extracellular glutathione without an acetyl group attached being broken down by systemic peptidases and releasing cysteine and glutamate.
The CBS upregulation one where glutathione is adding additional sulfur.

My intolerace of glutathione is very rapid worsening of NMDA activation. I don't see how the above could cause that. There doesn't seem to be enough glutamate/cysteine in a 200mg dose of glutathione to cause significant problems you would think? Same for the sulfur with CBS. I've no idea about Fredds idea.

hixxy

richvank

Hi, hixxy.

Just speculating here, but if a lack of NADPH caused a lowering of the ratio of reduced to oxidized glutathione in the astrocytes, that could raise the oxidative stress there and lower the ATP production rate, thus robbing the glutamate transporters and the glutamine synthetase reaction of their energy source, leaving more glutamate in the synapses and exciting the NMDA receptors more.

Best regards,

Rich

Valentijn

One thing I forgot to ask is what your thoughts on supplementing with glutathione? The stuff that was recommended to me is around $70 per bottle and certainly don't want to spend the money if it's not needed.

N-acetylcysteine usually increases glutathione, since it's typically what we need more of to make more glutathione. It's a lot cheaper, and it sounds like unpleasant reactions are less common than supplementing glutathione directly.

hixxy

Physically glutathione benefits me FAR more then NAC (NAC feels like it does nothing at all). I only have neurological problems with glutathione supplementation.

hixxy