Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Numbness when sleeping anyone ?

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by Dechi, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

Somedays I get numbness and dull pain from simple pressure on different body parts. To avoid it, I don't cross my legs or rest my arms on top of the other.

Except when I sleep. I don't sleep on my back, only on my side or stomach. Which means my legs or arms are resting on top of another. So every 3-4 minutes, I need to change positions because it hurts. Also folding my left arm will have the same numbing effect and hurt after 2-3 minutes (the right one doesn't). Sometimes the weight of the blankets annoy me also. On those nights it's hard to sleep because I toss and turn so much. I spread my legs and arms in my queen bed and I pretty much occupy the whole space, which helps for a while until I need to move again. I have decided to try and learn to sleep on my back, in case it gets even worse and I don't have a choice anymore.

Anyone else has this annoying problem ?

justy, L'engle and slysaint like this.
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I always used to sleep on my front. However since having ME sleeping on my front or side makes my headaches worse, so I've retrained myself to sleep on my back, which is my most headache-relieving position. Just sharing that after a lifetime of sleeping in one position, it was possible for me to learn to sleep on my back.

L'engle and Dechi like this.
  3. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

I am happy to hear that ! ;-). Did you have any particular retraining technique ?

TiredSam likes this.
  4. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Nope, just did it and got used to it. It helped that every time I rolled onto my side or front my headache got worse, so I had that constant reminder. I was pleased and relieved that it was possible to change the habit of a lifetime though, I now sleep like a log on my back, it has become my position.

Dechi likes this.
  5. ghosalb

ghosalb Senior Member

upstate NY
    yes...numbness happens to me all the time for at least last ten years....some locations on my body last for days or weeks but eventually always gets better...happens in all sleeping positions but least when on my back

Dechi likes this.
  6. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

Have you tried putting a very large pillow between your legs? I have a cheap body pillow that I fold in half.

Dechi likes this.
  7. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

@Little Bluestem I have one for my arms but not for the legs. I'll try that too, thanks !

Little Bluestem likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.