• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Novel Therapy (Cupping) Unexpectedly Reduces Neck Pain

Wayne

I tried a new therapy called “Cupping” last Friday, and have had some very interesting results from it. Cupping involves putting suction cups on various parts of the body to try to draw out various kinds of toxicity. HERE’S A LINK to a good article on how cupping has apparently been used for thousands of years by various cultures throughout the world.

Regarding my situation, I’ve had a lot of general pain in my upper back and neck area for many years, which I’ve generally attributed to structural issues and Lyme infections/biofilms. One area in my upper right back (in the muscles) became especially painful the past couple of years. I’ve done various kinds of corrective structural therapy in the past to try to make sure I had as good as alignment in these areas as I possibly could, getting considerable relief in the process. But since these therapies were no longer affecting my problem area, a year ago I did twice weekly acupuncture sessions which involved inserting the needles directly into the painful muscles. After several weeks I was able to get a significant amount of relief, and remained mostly pain free for the past year.

About a month ago, this pain suddenly flared up again. But this time, the acupuncture sessions would generally seem to aggravate the pain for a few days instead of beginning to resolve it. In short, it just wasn’t working nearly as well as last time. Believing the reason for the pain was an increased level of toxicity in the affected area, my acupuncturist and I decided to give cupping a try. It only takes about five minutes, and during this initial time period, I felt I was already beginning to notice a lessening of pain in the area. We did several other points on my back, including ones in the shoulder area that are associated with detoxification areas/meridians. The areas that we cupped (about the size of a large coin) became quite discolored, apparently indicating quite a lot of toxicity.

For that point on, I felt an immediate shift in my body in a number of ways. First, there was noticeably less pain in my major problem area. Secondly, I noticed an unusual nausea that stayed with me for several days. Thirdly, I noticed about mid-week that two unusual “lines” of discoloration appeared, one directly along my upper spine, and the other about an inch to the left. They were about a quarter inch in width, and several inches long from the base of my neck down toward the middle of my back. These lines were several inches away from the major cupped areas by the shoulder blades.

Then this morning, I remembered more fully how painful my neck and spine had been since my latest flareup started a month ago. And I realized this pain has been significantly reduced since I did the cupping a week ago. I’ll be going in tomorrow for my second cupping session, and am looking forward to seeing where this might take me. I think the some of the various Lyme treatment therapies I’ve been doing have resulted in varying degrees of bacterial dieoff, with much of it stagnating in the weaker parts of my body. Cupping seems to be an effective way to start drawing out some of the neurotoxicity associated with this dieoff.

Wayne

perchance dreamer

Hi, Wayne. I used to have cupping done when I was doing acupuncture. I haven't had it in a long time.

Cupping gave me the sensation of an incredible boost of increased circulation and fresh blood to the area. It helped soften some stubborn muscle spasms in my back and neck.