1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

nothing effects me at all

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Aerose91, Aug 4, 2014.

1. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    I go between sea salt w/ iodine, Real Salt (mineral salt, no iodine, no flowing agents), and cheese salt which has no flowing agents, minerals or iodine. I use whichever type suits my taste...

2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    In twenty three years of taking various prescription meds, vitamins and supplements with the aid of an internist and several NDs, taking supplements recommended on various CFS/ME groups, and trying different diets, I have never found anything that helped me at all. :bang-head: The only reaction that I've ever had from a supplement was from magnesium - it made me so sleepy during the day that I turned into a zombie. However, having said that, I still live in hope of finding something that will relieve some of my CFS symptoms, especially the fatigue and PEM. :sluggish:

Tito likes this.
  3. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    Thanks! I think I should experiment more with salt, because I have been eating quite little of it as I've been told its unhealthy with too much, and that we get enough through eating normal food. I suppose it may be different with ME/CFS.

It's strange how we are totally opposite regarding magnesium. For me when I have a good day and take 2-400mg I get too wired and almost hyper from taking it. My body gets really hot, and I cannot sleep until morning comes. So I try to take it in limited amounts when needed to bring sort of a balance.

4. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    I need salt for my adrenal function, I get into bad shape without it. I consume ~8-10g per day of salt. When I tried limiting salt I got really sick. Before I realized I need so much salt I was having a lot of abdominal bloating and I thought, gee, it must be my sodium intake. I cut back for two weeks and it was probably the worst I've ever felt. Generally now I realize that if I am bloated, I need more salt to pull the fluid out of interstitial space and into the bloodstream so it can get eliminated.

Ray Peat has an interesting article on salt:
    http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/salt.shtml

TigerLilea likes this.
  5. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    That's a lot of salt?! I think about two quarters of a table spoon...? Do you measure it up and divided it on your meals during the day? Looking at the article, and this interests me a lot:

"The increase of adrenalin caused by salt restriction has many harmful effects, including insomnia. Many old people have noticed that a low sodium diet disturbs their sleep, and that eating their usual amount of salt restores their ability to sleep."

Perhaps that's the solution to my inability to get to bad early?

EDIT: Ahahahaa :D Bed, not bad!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  6. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    :D Yeah, I use diet tracking software and that gives me a good estimate of how much I eat in my food, then I always add to my water. After drinking salty water for a year and a half now, plain water tastes weird. Mostly I drink e-lytes all day of lemon/lime juice, salt, a bit of stevia. I like broth with extra salt added.

Too much salt, too fast can stimulate the bowels. Be warned. :D

optimist likes this.
  7. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    My muscles were so sensitive, stiff, knots, etc. and constantly felt bruised. It was as if all the muscles in my body felt like I had strained them in a major way. The Malic Acid helped ALOT with this and if I take enough it seems to also help (A little) with muscle strength.:)

soxfan likes this.
  8. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

I use himilayan pink salt or the gray Celtic sea salt. Just whatever is the least refined with the most minerals

9. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    You mentioned adding T3 for thyroid hormone conversion issue......sorry for brain fog....but is that the actual name of the supplement?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  10. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    Yeah, it's actually T3, the brand name is Cytomel, and the generic name of the drug is liothyronine. It's a doctor-prescribed med, and it's hard to get conventional docs to give it. Fortunately I found a ND who was willing to prescribe it. I had high reverse T3 and low free T3, which made me feel like a zombie. After a few months of titrating, I'm on 18.5 mcg T3 and my blood levels are in the upper quartile of the range for free T3.

I have had loads of thyroid symptoms for decades, and conventional docs just looked at my TSH (which is always 'good') and refused to treat me.

I need to look into malic acid. I get the sore bruised muscle thing, too. After working on the new floor in the front room last weekend, I am so sore I can barely walk. :(

rwac and Gingergrrl like this.
  11. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Community Support Volunteer

USA
    @BadBadBear How does taking T3/Cytomel compare to Armour Thyroid? No worries if you don't know the answer!

12. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    I drank some diluted lemon acid yesterday and some baking soda, and man did I wake up with a bad nausea... fortunately it helped drinking a lot of water.

13. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    Hi GingerGrrrl - I have not tried Armour as my FT4 level was always good. Mine is more a conversion issue.

Gingergrrl likes this.
  14. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    Hope you are feeling better today. My mom gave me baking soda when I was a kid because it worked as an emetic. Just the taste of it still makes me nauseous. Blech.

optimist likes this.
  15. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Just a short comment on sodium (salt) as part of a treatment plan. I don't know anything about using extra sodium for adrenal problems so I can't comment on that.

However, I have read a lot about increased sodium in the diet for patients with Orthostatic Intolerance (e.g., NMH or POTS). Here's one extract from a research paper on POTS (see http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1540-8167.2008.01407.x/pdf ):
    Note: hypovolemic means having low blood volume.

I generally get my extra sodium and potassium through a combination of supplements (over the counter salt tablets and prescription, time-released potassium) and electrolyte drinks. I also make sure to get about 3 liters of water daily. It's no cure but it helps.

PS. I forgot to mention that I also take a couple of prescriptions, midodrine and florinef (fludrocortisone), but I think this thread was mostly talking about whether non-prescription supplements helped at all.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    BadBadBear likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.