1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

nothing but adrenaline at night

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by Aerose91, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

During the day i am so exhausted but try not to sleep so i dont screw up my schedule even more, but at night when i try to sleep i just have constant adrenaline dumps so theres no chance of me sleeping. This doesnt relent until at least 4-5 am.

I am pretty much regularly in a state of sleep deprivation and all i want to do is sleep but my body just wont let it happen. I go to bed so, so tired, then deal with adrenaline all night and by the time i get out of bed the next morning (or afternoon) i am so wiped out and exhausted from the night. Completely the opposite of whats supposed to happen.

And fyi i do regular saliva cortisol tests and my cortisol rhythm isnt great but isnt terrible either. i had the same rythym with adrenal fatigue and i slept much better than this with much less adrenaline. Has anyone ever found a solution to this?
  2. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

My suggestion is to get a sleep study.

What you are going through must be rough.

Good luck.

Barb
    Beyond likes this.
  3. A zombie

A zombie

you need to have a cortisol test done (4 point saliva) it sounds like you are VERY high cortisol at night. I'm high at night and what has helped me is something called seriphos. For me i take it 2 hours before bed with melotonin etc and it does help.
    But the only problem with blindly doing this... high and low cortisol can have the same symptoms. this is why you really need a cortisol test to know fro sure how to treat.
  4. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

I do cortisol tests regularly, i rise a little at night but not a ton. Ive had a cortisol curve like this for several years and still slept ok prior to getting M.E. Now my adrenaline levels are through the roof.

And i took Seriphos for this exact reason to see if it would help. I took only 1 pill and that night i got encephalitis, and that encephalitis triggered my M.E.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  5. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    It could be some kind of autonomic dysfunction, and something changing your circadiac rythym.. interestingly enough I get the same exact thing.. tired and worn down all day with interminnent periods of deep peace and relax, some good nights sleep, and then others I get huge adrenaline hits that only happen while trying to fall asleep and it keeps me up for hours.. Sometimes I have hallucinations during the day at times that are audio and visual, and at night when going to sleep as well... Apparently this can be pretty common with certain kinds of lyme, and parasites.. I had a sleep study done myself and the only thing they found was restless leg syndrome.

Have you ever followed through with the lyme stuff? Seeing as our symptoms have been pretty similar and brain hypo perfusion is MUCH more common in lyme you may want to look into it...

I found a new protocol, and person that is proving to be the most benificial thing yet..

here is a link to his site.
    http://hansacenter.com/about/
  6. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

Thanks Martial,

I didnt have the money last time to get the IgeniX test done but i do now and am going to order it next week.

As much ad i dont want to im considering just sleeping during the day and staying awake all night since im up all night anyway. At least that mught be a tactic to get me some sleep.

Did u ever have a SPECT?
  7. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    I wouldn't do quite that though, there are various things you can use to help put the body to sleep and into a normal cycle again, but having off hours like that will not work in your favor... You can even start simple with light therapy at night and morning.. alongside healthy sleep hygiene.. Melatonin in 1mg to 3mg doses can also help.. There was another supplement I can't recall name of that also helps..

Basically you don't want to see any blue lights at night, whether its a TV, Computer, or cell phone, as these will trick your body into thinking it is daytime.. There are apps you can get to turn the glow to yellow, and then keep the house lights dim...

in the morning you want to get outside in the sun as soon as you can so your body knows it is daytime...

Here is a good article related..

http://davidjernigan.blogspot.com/

One more thing to mention and I completely forgot but issues of extreme hyper arousol and excess cortisol at night is very common with babesia co infection of lyme... When I was herxing very bad I would wake up every hour or sometimes more with feelings of rage, or feeling like I was being attacked.. all kinds of weird stuff.. Lots of sweating and chills as well.. Many other people mention similar things with this as well..

I had multiple MRI's and CT done of my head but dont recall all the names of them.

hypo perfusion is a definite issue with me too though..
  8. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

Another major problem i have is that im still in protracted benzo withdrawal- thats where all my sleep problems started. i was given ativan 2 years ago to counter thyroid medication and since i came off it i have never been able to sleep since. Constantly revved up and crazy tinnitus.

I do the blue light therapy and have for a while, hasnt helped.

I also have all the crazy mood swings you describe though. When im up all night with intense adrenaline dumps i get all sorts of anger, frustration and irritability. Then once i get up it probably takes half a day for that to calm down. i just constantly have such a short fuse because im in a permenant state of sleep deprivation and am running on adrenaline.
  9. soxfan

soxfan Senior Member

North Carolina
    I have periods of time when I go through this too. It is definitely high cortisol because I had mine tested and it was twice as high as it should be at 10pm.
    The problem was that my cortisol was too low during the day but they gave me seriphos anyway to take at night and it lowered my cortisol so much I thought I was going to die. It was a terrible experience and I only took it a couple times.

It usually happens to me during high periods of stress much worse and then I will lay awake until 2 or 3 before dozing off and on. Then of course the next day you feel horrible like you have been run over by a truck.

Just be very careful if you decide to take something to lower it because it seriously was not good for me. It felt like the life had been drained out of me....

See more popular forum discussions.