Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Not sure what this means - Regarding Valcyte

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by redaxe, Mar 1, 2015.

1. redaxe

redaxe Senior Member

2. SOC

SOC

Immunity likes this.
  3. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    The prices for both the Indian generic of Valcyte and another generic can be found on one of the Valcyte threads here.

Sushi

SOC likes this.
  4. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @redaxe I am confused by this b/c there is already a generic available in U.S. Pharmacies of Valcyte made by Qualitest. This is the only one my insurance would pay for and Qualitest has a horrible track record with product recalls and contaminated products and lawsuits.

Needless to say I declined and am taking the brand version by Genentech/Roche. The only other option I had heard of was Cipla an Indian company. So this is confusing!

SOC likes this.
  5. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    I believe that it was the "production facility" that caused the failure of this company to supply a FDA approved generic in the US. This company may very well be supplying generic Valcyte in other countries already.

6. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @SOC and others, it must already be off patent since the Qualitest version is already available in U.S. pharmacies. This is what confused me!

SOC likes this.
  7. SOC

SOC

Sure enough, my daughter refilled her Valcyte prescription this week and the mail-order pharmacy associated with our insurance sent the Qualitest generic valgancyclovir, not the name brand Valcyte.

The bad news is, they charged us the same amount we'd been paying for the name brand. :mad: I'm going to have to look into that.

I'm not happy to hear @Gingergrrl's report that Qualitest has such an abysmal track record.

Valentijn likes this.
  8. zzz

zzz Senior Member

Oregon
    I wouldn't buy cough drops from Qualitest, much less Valcyte. Here are the excerpts from an article I originally sent to @Gingergrrl. It was the first thing that popped up when I Googled "Qualitest quality":
    Instead, if you can afford it, I would recommending buying the Cipla generic Valgan direct from AllDayChemist. Cipla’s bulk manufacturing facilities have been FDA approved for thirty years now, and they undergo regular FDA inspections. They are a top quality generic drug manufacturer. At 900 mg/day, their generic Valgan costs $360/month from AllDayChemist. It typically costs much more from other pharmacies.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    Sushi, ukxmrv and heapsreal like this.
  9. SOC

SOC

That's disturbing. :( Do you know anything about the reliability of that website -- in-pharmatechnologist, or the author of the article?

I'm eager for a generic Valcyte, but not if I'm going to pay the same price as the brand name version and not if it's poor quality.

10. SOC

SOC

Hey! Good news for people who need Valcyte but can't afford it! When the dust settled, our insurance-associated pharmacy only charged us $20 for 90 days of Valcyte. That is not going to be true for everyone, but if you have a policy like ours with a standard price for any generic, this is huge. :thumbsup:

Now let's hope the generic works as well as the brand. :cautious:

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.