1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

(Not ME/CFS-specific) "Tricyclic antidepressants 'raise cardiovascular risk'"

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

[Quite a lot of patients with ME/CFS take these drugs. On the face of it, this is a bit worrying but patients on tricyclics may be quite ill. I haven't seen the full paper to see what they controlled for.]

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=4127924

---
    CLINICAL RESEARCH:
    Mark Hamer, G. David Batty, Adrie Seldenrijk, and Mika Kivimaki Antidepressant medication use and future risk of cardiovascular disease: the Scottish Health Survey Eur Heart J first published online November 30, 2010
    doi:10.1093/eurheartj/ehq438
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

They're commonly used for chronic pain and migraines now. I wonder if these conditions would be related with cardiovascular problems regardless of treatment.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Yes. They help so many of my symptoms that I'm reluctant to stop. Of course, if the core illness was treated, I might have fewer symptoms and they'd be less severe and it'd be easier to give them up.
  4. We are supposed to be taking them in tiny doses - ie 10mg while a proper dose for depression is more like 45 - 50mg. Certainly the 10 mg gives me a great sleep - and is generally great for me. Amytriptyline saved my life as sleeping probs were terrible - I went up to 30mg at the very worst time but needed to only for a couple of weeks then reduced to 20 and then 10 again. If the research was looking at the does for depression then our lower doses are no doubt a whole lot safer.

See more popular forum discussions.