• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

(Not important) Wessely watch: Factitious disorders in neurology: an analysis

Dolphin

This doesn't particularly excite me but if any one had it to hand, feel free to paste in the bit where myalgic is mentioned. Myalgic isn't that common a term and tends to be used with regard to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis or Fibromyalgia, I find.

Factitious disorders in neurology: an analysis of reported cases.

RA Kanaan and SC Wessely

Psychosomatics, January 1, 2010; 51(1): 47-54.

Abstract

Institute of Psychiatry, Dept. of Psychological Medicine, King's College London, P062, Weston Education Centre, London SE5 9RJ. r.kanaan@iop.kcl.ac.uk

BACKGROUND: Factitious disorder (FD) is the deliberate production or simulation of symptoms in order to adopt the sick role.

OBJECTIVE: The authors look at FD in the neurology setting.

METHOD: The authors examined documented, published cases.

RESULTS: FD cases in neurology are strikingly different from those in other specialties in terms of their demographics. Whereas the paradigm of FD in medicine as a whole is of the socially stable female healthcare worker, neurology continues to report largely the classic itinerant "Munchausen's" type.

DISCUSSION: The authors explore two possible explanations for this: either that female healthcare workers with FD do not present neurologically, or that, if they do, they are diagnosed with conversion disorder.