Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Not important, just illustrative: "Attitude helps treating chronic fatigue"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Esther12, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Just a little titbit of what GPs are being taught:

http://www.nzdoctor.co.nz/news/2012...-helps-treating-chronic-fatigue---gp-cme.aspx

2. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm surprised he doesn't offer bleeding, leeches and voodoo-curse removal as modern day, evidence-based medicine! :rolleyes:

ok yeah, leeches are used today in Medicine, but for specific, useful, actual evidence-based reasons, not because the docs are inbred sheep-worriers who puff suspicious herbage like a wonky traction engine and were taught in a medical college that was way more like a horror version of Hogwarts! :alien:

Hm...

HARRY POTTER AND THE F*CKWITS OF MEDICINE
    HARRY POTTER AND THE GIBBERING WEASELS
    HARRY POTTER AND THE M.E. PRISONERS OF ASSHOLES
    HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PSYCHOBABBLERS

:lol: ?

3. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    The link just takes me to a login page. Can anyone dump the whole text somewhere so we can read and maybe complain about this rubbish.

4. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    The link just takes me to a login page. Can anyone dump the whole text somewhere so we can read and maybe complain about this rubbish?

5. Purple

Purple Bundle of purpliness

That is the whole text, ukxmrv

ukxmrv likes this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
  7. Calathea

Calathea Senior Member

You know, even if 90% of patients with chronic fatigue (as opposed to CFS, which is being conveniently conflated here) recover in two years, it's still not very helpful to tell them that they're not actually ill. Two years of being fatigued without medical backup is more than enough to wreck someone's career or relationship.

There seems to be an implication that we are all making ourselves worse by believing that we are seriously ill when we're not. Last I checked, the exact opposite was the problem. It takes years for an ME patient to find this sort of community. For the first few years, the only understanding we have of our illness is what is reflected to us by doctors and then by society, and they are all firmly telling us that we're not really ill. So we all think that recovery is just around the corner, overdo it, and get worse long-term.

The suggested level of exercise seems unusually brutal, even for proponents of GET. There is a really nasty feeling to this entire article.

merylg and LaurieM like this.
  8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

It really reminded me of the approach my doctors took when I was first ill. I think it's a fantasy that I'm not entirely willing to give up on, and I do not think that has been helpful.

Regardless of it's pragmatic costs and benefits, reassuring patients about their health when those assurances are not based upon good evidence is just immoral quackery. It's not a fair way to treat people.

See more popular forum discussions.