1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

(Not illness specific) [JSTOR] Journal Archive Opens Up (Some)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

article continues at:
    http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/01/09/jstor-offer-limited-free-access-content-1200-journals

Here's the link to sign up http://about.jstor.org/rr
    (COI Statement: I have no financial interest in any of these)

Bob, alex3619 and Little Bluestem like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Senior Member

A good start. :)

3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Yes, a step in the right direction, its very encouraging. Also the reading limit is not such a big issue to someone like me: fully reading three detailed papers every two weeks is close to my limit most of the time.

SickOfSickness likes this.
  4. Bob

Bob

South of England
    It looks like a promising new service, but not all the big-name journals have signed up to it yet.

As an alternative way to find research papers, I've found that I can usually get hold of a copy of a paper published within a journal or a book, from my local large library through an inter-library loan from the British Library, for a small fee of about £3. The British Library has always had copies of books and journals that I've wanted, however obscure. (Copies of individual research papers/articles, from journals, can also be bought online from the British Library, but they cost normal-ish prices of about £20 to £30.)

There's also this fairly new service, "deepdyve.com", which provides 'rented' research papers for a very large discount:
    http://www.deepdyve.com/
    I've never used it because they've never had an article that I've been looking for.
    They're offering a free trial at the moment.

SickOfSickness likes this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi Bob, the Australian public can do something similar through their state libraries. I did a few years back. That is not too bad if you only want one paper. Its not good if you want to read hundreds. I used to live a short walk from the biggest medical library in my state, back when I could still walk a little and afford to live in the inner city. It was great. Want a paper? Take a bus, walk a bit, photocopy, come home. Now its a three hour trip each way. Having online services available at little or no cost is great. However this idea that we can only read them not download them is nonsense and unenforceable. If we can read it we can download it, period, even if it requires screen dumps. Essentially what they are selling is convenience. If you want fast and easy, you pay. If its free then its inconvenient. This might actually be a good model, as the public is not in the same hurry (typically) as a busy professional who can afford to pay. Bye, Alex

Bob likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.