1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Lessons from ME/CFS: Finding Meaning in the Suffering
If you're aware of my previous articles here at Phoenix Rising then it's pretty clear that I don't generally spend my time musing upon the philosophy of the disease. I find it better to spend my time reading research and trying my best to break it down to its core elements and write...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Not Absorbing Vitamin D

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Uno, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Uno

Uno Senior Member

Brighton, United Kingdom
    Hi folks

My mum has very low Vitamin D levels and has been having injections but her levels remain low and her doctor is baffled as to why she is not absorbing it?

I wondered if it could be a methylation issue?

Thanks!
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Which form is testing low and which form is she being injected with?
    SOC likes this.
  3. Uno

Uno Senior Member

Brighton, United Kingdom
    I don't know:( I can find out? Does it make a difference? x
  4. fibrodude84

fibrodude84 Senior Member

Yes, 25 hydroxy is the best vit d test. Is her injection vitamin d 3? Vit d2 is synthetic and harder for body to absorb.
  5. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I remember i was taking something like 5000iu a day and my vit D was still low, i managed to increase this by use a high dose 50000iu capsule. I think i did this daily for a week, then took 1 once a week for a few weeks and then just slowly kept spacing them out, now i probably take 1 x 50000iu once a month when i remember?
  6. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

Is your mum able to sun herself? It's not something I would do because I'm fair, but it's the way your body makes vitamin D.

Medication use can affect vitamin D:

"Steroids
    Corticosteroid medications such as prednisone, often prescribed to reduce inflammation, can reduce calcium absorption and impair vitamin D metabolism. These effects can further contribute to the loss of bone and the development of osteoporosis associated with their long-term use.

Other medications
    Both the weight-loss drug orlistat (brand names Xenical® and alliTM) and the cholesterol-lowering drug cholestyramine (brand names Questran®, LoCholest®, and Prevalite®) can reduce the absorption of vitamin D and other fat-soluble vitamins. Both phenobarbital and phenytoin (brand name Dilantin®), used to prevent and control epileptic seizures, increase the hepatic metabolism of vitamin D to inactive compounds and reduce calcium absorption."

--US Office of Dietary Supplements

Also, your kidneys covert the vitamin precursor to active vitamin D, so your mum might need to have her kidneys checked.

See more popular forum discussions.