1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Norwiegan XMRV VIPDx Study Finds XMRV in 62% of CFS patients

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Cort, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Much of the research world the WPI wants to convince won't be convinced by this because the tests were done at VIPDx but, again, look at the pretty good consistency of the positive results - 64% - almost right on the WPI's original figure and then when you add in the serology results 70-something percent. That's an amazing coincidence for a contaminant!

[​IMG]
  2. Berthe

Berthe Senior Member

near Antwerp
    I love posts like this. Although I realize how frustrating this is for Judy, the WPI and all the sufferers world-wide. The fact remains that she stirred things up. Patints are becoming more demanding, not only in the U.S. but everywhere. You can feel the buzz over here in Belgium and Holland. Posts and studies like this keep the fire burning, as you know what I mean.:Sign giggle:

Love,
    Berthe

http://www.onwilliglichaam.blogspot.com
  3. Trooper

Trooper Senior Member

UK
    Good stuff. I needed that after the medieval stuff that's come of out of the UK this week - and yes, that's some coincidence :)
  4. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Many thanks for posting Cort. It's been a long hard battle (old friend involved) for them to reach this stage whilst we in the UK remain in the doldrums. And they had the wisdom to select the real experts along the way no mumbo jumbo mind stuff accepted. I think the positive interference of the Psychiatrics has set us back decades in the UK. We battle on.
  5. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    'The same day, Norwegian politicians and doctors reacted positively in a follow-up interview on NRK'

Bit like the UK eh:rolleyes: So glad its happening for other countries, yes the negative rushed UK study definitely had the desired effect to give all the politicians, NICE etc something to refer to when supporting their decisions not to do any more for us. Wessley is one hell of a slimy **** who's enabled them to keep the lid shut on us for a bit longer. But the truth will emerge eventually, they can't ignore the rest of the world forever.
  6. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Yes they took on the Politicians Government and Doctors (re-education) and one hopes very soon the bubble will burst on those here who have mislead us all for so long. Lets set the "vikings" on them (apologies to E) - much more capable.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

One of only three healthy controls were positive?

In the debate about contamination vs true association, I don't see this moving the argument significantly either way. More healthy controls would have been great.
  8. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    Yes, how hard can it have been to find 20 healthy controls for eg?! There's a whole world out there (so I've been told). Great results with the positives though & v encouraging response.
  9. Francelle

Francelle Senior Member

Victoria, Australia
    As Cort says, it is only a pity that the testing was done thro' VIPDx. An independent lab doing it would add much more credence to the findings - sadly!
  10. lancelot

lancelot Senior Member

southern california
    Great job Norway!
  11. LJS

LJS Insert Witty Comment Here

East Coast, USA
    Very small sample set and I really wish they tested more healthy controls but interesting none the less.
  12. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Are they going to be publishing these results?
  13. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    I'm glad to read about this too, thanks Norway... Yes, it's a pity they did not do the testing themselves. But chances are, that then it would have been yet another negative study, so it's still better like this.
    And they will continue their work with CFS, so it's a new channel that has opened up for us, which is good. Are there any studies where the testing was done by VIP Dx and there was a sufficient number of healthy controls? DeMeirleir, Cheney, others?
  14. illsince1977

illsince1977 A shadow of my former self

I think I have Contamination Fatigue Syndrome :In bed::rolleyes:

Can't wait for the BWG results to put this all to rest. Sometimes I feel like taking a sabbatical from reading about XMRV studies until then, but I keep thinking "Tomorrow I'll hear/read something interesting. It's addictive.
  15. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
  16. George

George waitin' fer rabbits

South Texas
    Hey Illsince1977 do you know when the results from the "Contamination Study" will be done??? Is that the one that's supposed to be available in Novemeber or is that one of the ones they will be reporting on at the April confrence????
  17. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    I guess that there are so few controls as this is not a research project or a study? The Norwegian clinic has been sending blood samples from paying clients to VIP dx and they are reporting the findings. The controls may even have been staff members to test the process. Breakspear Hospital did similar things through Biolab in the UK to VIP dx when they were testing.

All good news and we should hear more at the conference.
  18. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

That's what I'd assume too.

One thing that worries me a bit is that every time we've had results from when an outside source has blinded supposedly healthy controls the WPI has found more positive for XMRV than should be the case. These result, the very early blood working group results, the samples from the Norwegian negative study... weren't they all 1/3? 3/9 total? Still a small number of samples, but a surprisingly high number of positives considering the Science paper reported 4% positive.
  19. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    We don't always know where they get their controls from Esther and that's why I'm not too worried about what the WPI finds in relation to the background rate.

It's like the earlier dutch research where patients were asked to bring their own controls and took family members / neighbours. I've been involved with ME research as a patient and not been happy with their lack of care over controls.

Obviously I would always like more info on where the controls came from and we don't alway get that. In this Norwegian case I don't think it is a formal study, just a report of results from their patients.
  20. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

That's true.

LOL at me trying to analyse the results of nine control subjects. It shows how starved of data I feel.

See more popular forum discussions.