1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Norwegian rituximab study to start 2014

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Ninan, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Yeah I must admit - and without time to look again at the published paper - but I thought it was Fukuda and CCC first time. Might be wrong, but I didn't think it was only Fukuda because that would have raised more concerns among the patients...

@Bob can you remember off the top of your head? Thanks :)

2. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

It was only Fukada. But later they found that almost all patients (except maybe two, not sure) fitted CCC.

Now since Rituximab probably doesn't have much effect on depression I guess using CCC will increase the number of responding patients rather than decrease it. They have seen better results in later studies. This could be due to using better criteria.

3. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

"The inclusion criteria were: a diagnosis of CFS by a neurologist, according to the Fukuda 1994 criteria [5], age 18–65 years, and written informed consent. Exclusion criteria were: fatigue not fulfilling CFS criteria, previous malignant disease (except basal cell carcinoma and cervical dysplasia), previous long-term immunosuppressive treatment, previous Rituximab treatment, endogenous depression, lack of ability to adhere to protocol, or evidence of on-going infection."

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0026358

aimossy and Firestormm like this.
  4. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Thanks @Ninan I am flicking back and forth between editing an article - and my brain cell went on strike :)

5. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

Yeah, I know it sucks to have only one. ;)

aimossy, Firestormm and alex3619 like this.
  6. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

I thought that they had a placebo response from someone fulfilling the Fukada definition but not the CCC one.

aimossy and Valentijn like this.
  7. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

That's possible. I don't remember.

aimossy likes this.
  8. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    That's what I recall as well ... that the "cured" placebo patient was not CCC.

Ninan likes this.
  9. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

Maybe they found the one with the "bodily distress syndrome". Escaped from Denmark. :D

NK17 and Valentijn like this.
  10. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

NZ
    Its been a while I am hoping their last paper will be published within a few months from now.

Edit. actually just realised it wasn't long since I looked here.....completely lost with time frames at the moment.:)

See more popular forum discussions.