The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Norwegian paper on ME: "What exactly is myalgic encephalomyelitis?"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I'm not able to read very well at the moment but this looks like a good article and it gives CBT/GET a bit of a kicking.

Note that when they say that ME is a "somatic" disease, this is the opposite of "psychosomatic". "Somatic" means "of the body".

http://tidsskriftet.no/article/3404849/en_GB

At the end, the authors say:

"We are six professors who, in different ways, are all involved in issues related to myalgic encephalomyelitis. Some of us are medics and scientists who participate actively in research into the condition, while others are social scientists or ethicists who have taken a critical look at the literature in the field from a social and socio-medical perspective."

It's in the Norwegian medical journal, Tidsskrift for den norske lægeforening.

Thanks to IiME FB for the link.

2. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

3. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    I think that's very helpful, for those not actually conducting research or running clinics, to look at it and say something about it on ethical/social-medical grounds. Wish more would do that, and perhaps this might encourage some to do so.

WillowJ, alex3619 and Sasha like this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    We desperately need more academics and clinicians to speak out publicly about the problems with CBT and GET.

5. trails

trails Senior Member

New Hampshire
    This article is a very good "primer" regarding some of the latest CFS/ME test findings; could be helpful to share with doctors, family members, etc.

alex3619 likes this.
  6. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    One of the authors, Ola Didrik Saugstad, is a seriously heavyweight name in pediatrics. Advisor to the WHO, I believe. I was already aware that he has an interest in ME.

7. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

How odd that this tiny little nation is repeatedly and powerfully giving larger western nations the medical ideology smack down that they deserve. Makes me want to visit.

8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I know someone from Norway and I would indeed like to go there some day.

9. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

I think this is needed in all of medicine if it is to both progress and begin to free itself from the excessive restrictions imposed by HMOs, insurance companies and "evidence based" institutions.

medfeb, SOC, sarah darwins and 2 others like this.
  11. mango

mango Senior Member

saugstad is doing a fantastic job! :thumbsup:

here's some more recent stuff from him (in norwegian):
    http://www.radiofolgefonn.no/default.aspx?pageId=1&cmd=news&newsId=ttbDchub0LE%3d

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-v-GK4e0jjtNmNFb0IzNE9aVDQ/view?pli=1

https://radio.nrk.no/serie/ekko-hovedsending/MDSP25019815/05-10-2015#t=58m18s

12. Research 1st

Research 1st Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.

It's so sad ME CFS patients are mistreated so badly by the medical, scientific and government agencies, we get excited about being believed, 46 years after their disease was classified as real by the W.H.O.

We are like starving prisoners (neglected patients) grateful for crumbs (common sense thinking).

It seems only the Norwegians (not a member of the EU) and a few private American clinics, e.g.Open Medicine Institute (OMI), can comply with common sense medical practice in an otherwise blind sea of idiocy (BPS theory CFS install the intractable discrimination policy virus of CBT GET into wider societies medical hard disk).

Chrisb likes this.
  13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

We do have to be careful with statements like this. ME is real on its own terms. Many WHO ICD classifications are for disease categories that are invalid or unstable, and many scientists and doctors know this.

14. medfeb

medfeb Senior Member

great article. Thanks, Sasha!

Sasha and halcyon like this.
  15. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Just posting this so it will show up in searches of the site (took me a while to find this thread):

PERSPECTIVES
    What exactly is myalgic encephalomyelitis?
    T Egeland A Angelsen R Haug J-O Henriksen T E Lea O D Saugstad
    http://tidsskriftet.no/article/3404849/en_GB  

16. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

It's also available in Norwegian:

17. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.