Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

(Norway) Lightning Process talk cancelled after protests from the ME Association

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by mango, Apr 23, 2016.

1. mango

mango Senior Member

Landmark was supposed to give a talk on Lightning Process at RBUP (the regional center for child and youth psychiatry) in Nydalen, Norway. The talk was cancelled thanks to the protests by the Norwegian ME Association.

http://www.dagensmedisin.no/artikler/2016/04/22/avlyste-lp-foredrag-etter-klage-fra-me-foreningen/

Based on Google Translate's version:

2. mango

mango Senior Member

Invisible Woman likes this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Lets get some open debate going then... Landmark has never seemed up to it in the past though.

4. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    So does that mean that if a participant on one of her courses asks her why it isn't working, she'll be prepared to discuss it?

5. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

There's a big difference between an "open debate" and a one-sided lecture from a quack with a huge financial interest.

Somehow I doubt she wants anything even resembling open debate, and would prefer the LP approach of demanding a lack of dissent even in our thoughts.

6. adreno

adreno PR activist

Anything with an effect size of zero has no place in academic debate.

7. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    My thoughts, ;)

SPARTA_KICK.gif

A.B., Justin30, Marky90 and 2 others like this.
  8. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member

Adelaide, Australia
    Oh please, whenever there's a hint of open debate, the delicate flowers in the BPS movement start whining about 'harassment'.

9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Except that its not about them being delicate, its a ploy with very long standing in politics for silencing dissent and debate.

10. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

This is a useful insight alex.. I had never before seen the "vexatious" issue in the broader context. It seems to have become impossible to have a serious discussion on some substantive issues without being accused of some form of "ism" or "phobia" or "ness". At this point the diversion tactic will have succeeded.

It would be interesting to analyse the stages of the process to enable the ploy to be preempted by stating in advance the nature and manner of the likely attack.

It seems to run along the lines first ascribe to someone words they have not uttered; then, views they do not hold; then, lump them together with people they do not support; then, accuse them of being likely to undertake actions they have never contemplated.

Do they run courses on this?

11. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Psychology?

alkt, TiredSam, mango and 7 others like this.
  12. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Philosophy - logic.

13. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Low peasant cunning.

14. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Is it possible to see the letter? I would like to hear the all arguments.

15. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    So if 'LP is not a treatment' why in the last paragraph is she mentioning 'urgent need for treatment' for patients?

How about we 'unmuzzle' her and invite her over to Phoenix Rising for an 'open debate'.:rofl:

16. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Good example of weasel words. Act as if it were a treatment but deny that it is one when challenged.

17. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland

sure, an invitation would be fun.... :p

[​IMG]

18. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    Not only has she been muzzled, but she's also shared - on social media - that being prohibited to advertise for LP at The Regional Centre for Child and Adolescent Mental Health is a matter of freedom of speech.

She's by the way a journalist, author, blogger, occasionally writes for two medical magazines, writes debate articles on ME and LP quite often in general media, has a website, lectures for students of medicine and has quite a few keen followers, among them several health care workers.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  19. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

A study of logic tells us when someone is using fallacious argument, but often this is in a political environment. So a study of some parts of politics, public-relations and psychology (three p's?) as already mentioned, may be helpful in determining what to do about it.

20. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member

Adelaide, Australia
    Exactly. It usually seems to occur when their opponent is dastardly enough to bring facts and logic to the debate (eg, when David Tuller took on that hapless Norwegian chap on twitter).

See more popular forum discussions.