1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Normal NK Function

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by LiveAgain, May 13, 2013.

1. LiveAgain

LiveAgain

I've had NK function tested twice and it comes back within normal range. I keep reading that low NK function is typical in ME/CFS. So what if you test normal? Anyone else?

2. Tristen

Tristen Senior Member

Northern Ca. USA
    Which part of the NK panel are you looking at? Mine were all done back in the day with VIP labs. All aspects of my NK labs are (low) normal except the NKC9 Lytic unit 30% (LU30), which remains extremely low.

3. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Recent research showed it was a specific nk cell called nk bright cells which function poorly, also cd8 t cells function poorly, that could be a possibility??

4. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    In Lyme, CD57 NK cells are suppressed. For those of you who decide to Google this, you might find a study that disputes that, but it seems there is another study that disputes their findings. This kind of stuff really makes research hard when you can't even depend on studies to be reliable.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2772377/

5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I don't have suppressed NK cells and I've been diagnosed with Lyme as well.

Ema

6. Creekee

Creekee Senior Member

Arizona
    I have suppressed CD57 but no Lyme diagnosis. :confused:

7. Tristen

Tristen Senior Member

Northern Ca. USA
    Was that the one used in the NK study you guys did down there?

8. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Is cell activity. I was kinda boderline low activity but SUPER low in numbers.

9. LiveAgain

LiveAgain

I'm talking about NK function. This is the test I had done:
    http://www.questdiagnostics.com/testcenter/BUOrderInfo.action?tc=34184X&labCode=QDV

I had a normal CD56 count and a very low CD57 count, but that goes with Lyme and even that is now in dispute... although I see above that dispute is being disputed. LOL. But the test I posted above I believe is the one looked at with ME/CFS and mine was normal. I just keep reading over and over that most people with ME/CFS have low NK function.

10. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Was your CD57 normal before or after undergoing treatment for Lyme?

11. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but the information might be useful either way. This is from a thread Rich started last year:
    (There's more information in the thread, but I posted some of the key points)
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...lls-perforin-and-glutathione-depletion.17603/

jimells likes this.
  12. Kati

Kati Patient in training

The normal for NK ell function according to Quest is 8-170. However 8 is not normal for a normal person. i am not a clinician and would not be able to tell you wht is currently seen in the clinics. Are you middle of the road normal? What is your illness hisstory? what is your level of functioning? Are you absolutely certain you have the right diagnosis? These are all questions that need to be visited not necessarily here, but with a trusted physician.

Edit to add: Also this test is time sensitive from the time it is drawn to the time the test is performed. Was it performed within the acceptable time?

13. LiveAgain

LiveAgain

I was diagnosed with Lyme clinically in the late 1990's and treated for a few months with antibiotics which did nothing. My testing has always been negative - I don't think I have Lyme. I'm diagnosed with ME/CFS and am not certain it's the right diagnosis. How can we know for sure with no real test for it? That's why I'm looking at the few markers available. My numbers on NK function were 33 in 2012 and 13 in 2013. As far as I know the lab followed proper tesing protocol. When you read what the researchers are saying it's like they're testing all their patients and finding low NK function. I'm not getting that impression here.

14. LiveAgain

LiveAgain

Oh and my level of functioning is not good - I'm not bedbound, but mostly homebound and very limited in what I can do depending on my symptoms.

15. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Lotus97
    These are the results I have below.

I was told they were high but maybe you will see something different!

2009 (well before Lyme treatment/diagnosis but after onset of severe relapse)
    Natural Killer Cell Profile
    %CD2 75 (74-92)
    %CD3 76 (61-89)
    %CD5 85 (62-89)
    %CD7 73 (65-94)
    %CD8 12 (10-47)
    %CD16 20 (2-21)
    %CD56 25 (4-29)
    %CD57 12 (4-37)

Then I have this HNK1 (CD57) Panel from Labcorp:
    %CD8-/CD57+ 7 (2-17)
    Abs CD8-CD57+ Lymphs 196 (60-360)

This was done about 4 months after Lyme diagnosis and into treatment.

Ema

16. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    You understand this a lot better than I do. The reason I asked is because I thought maybe your CD57 would be low before treatment, but normal after treatment since the Lyme bacteria is supposed to lower CD57. Do you think the information is wrong about people with Lyme having low CD57? I'm confused by those conflicting studies I posted earlier. I decided to start the Buhner protocol and part of the reason he recommends cat's claw is because it's supposed to raise CD57.

17. Kati

Kati Patient in training

While NK cell function of 13 is within range, I don't think it is normal for healthy people. If I remember well, I think one of the ME experts say it should be in the range of 60-90 for the healthies

18. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

You have to keep in mind that CFS/ME is still a wastebasket diagnosis. Not only is there more than one set of diagnostic criteria, but all the tests they give you simply rule out other diseases. There isn't a single test that can distinguish a CFS/ME patient from someone who doesn't have it.

The NK function test may be able to do this some time in the future, but right now it is still considered experimental, AFAIK. Neither does it provide any guidance to your doctor, since there don't seem to be any drugs that convince the NKs to get back to work.

Lotus97 likes this.
  19. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Someone posted this in another thread. I don't know what it means

20. Rooney

Rooney

SE USA
    I am mostly homebound and have NORMAl, healthy NK Function. Super low NK number though. Klimas studied those with and without healthy NK function. So much to learn about the immune system.

See more popular forum discussions.