1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

(Non-ME/CFS study) Retirement reduced physical & mental fatigue and depression

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

We often hear it said that work is good for you. And it is perhaps insinuated that if we were sitting around less we might feel better.

I'm not saying this is particularly exciting but I thought I'd throw it out:

Free full text at: http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c6149.full

Press Release:

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I always hear anacdotes about people getting ill/dying soon after retirement. Maybe that's just because they're old, and then others relate it to them doing less as a way of providing some meaining or rationale for it?

(Or maybe this papers wrong.)
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Yes. It *might* be selective evidence. Some people have got into a rhythm of working and would prefer to either keep working or that their spouse would keep working and so "collect" evidence that supports the evidence.

A similar thing might be the phenomenon that claimed that people can live on for a particular event. I remember reading a study that found, with the data they had, there was no evidence for that.

See more popular forum discussions.