• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Non-lactic acid probiotics?

Hi All,

I'm a little confused as to the results of my recent faecal microbiology test. Basically they have outlined:
  • Eubacterium spp: Overgrowth
  • Bifidobacterium sp: Overgrowth
  • Lactobacillus sp: Undergrowth
The recommendation is to avoid "lactic acid" producing probiotics however to add Lactobacillus probiotics. However, as far as I know, the Lactobacillus strain is a lactic acid forming probiotic!
Is it actually possible to find an non-lactic acid producing Lactobacillus probiotic? It seems a contradiction in terms.

xks201

If you read any of my past posts, it will become apparent that I have been preaching that chronic fatigue is a disease characterized by overgrowth of lactic acid producing bacteria compared to lactic acid utilizing bacteria which normally compose 50% of the gut. In another gentleman's stool test on this forum he was found to have 90% (if I remember correctly) lactic acid producing bacteria and 10% other, some of which break down lactic acid such as good e.coli. Mutaflor contains this good E.Coli. It is ironic that our own FDA outlawed the use of this good bacteria, which probably would do an infinite amount more good than unknowingly duped customers purchasing lactic acid producing bacteria.

Babies need lactic acid producing bacteria like acidophalus to digest their food. Adults normally do not house acidophalus bacteria in their gut unless it was ingested as a supplement. It is almost criminal to be marketing these lactic acid producing bacteria as beneficial considering most people have too much of them already. Antibiotics generally make the problem worse by killing off the good e.coli and keeping the lactic acid bacteria around. A high carbohydrate diet does not help the problem as the lactic acid producing bacteria love to ferment the gut. E.Coli produces folate which may be the reason many CFS patients have undermethylation issues. Extremely acidic conditions such as seen in intestinal lactate acidosis may even block the resorption of nutrients.

And do not listen to people that say the problem is only d-lactate. It is also l-lactate. Both are acid generating that create an environment not conducive to health.

I posted an exact thread like this and so far have gotten no answers as to anyone that can tell me a probiotic that utilizes lactic acid bacteria that is actually available on the market. Most of the ones on the market, including the yeasts like sach boullardi generate lactic acid. Makes you wonder why our FDA, who supposedly loves us so much, outlawed Mutaflor calling it a biological hazzard, when it is no different than any other probiotics, except unlike the others it isn't toxic.

Thanks for that - interesting stuff!

I've started a course of Rifaximin as well as a doxy (for a chest infection). I hope to kill off much of the overgrowth in the next 14 days.

I'm guessing I still need some Lactobacillus (which I currently have none of) so will need to take a probiotic which contains them. Can some recommend a probiotic that only contains Lactobacillus and no Bifidobacterium? Would kefir work just as well?

In addition I've tracked down some mutaflor so will also be starting on that at the same time - thanks xks201

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Do the commercially available yogurts and kefirs available in the USA do more harm that good?