1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Non-financial conflicts of interests in psychiatric research and practice" (Maj, 2008) & BJ Psych

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I just learned, via a James C. Coyne blog, of the following (see bolded bit) in the BJ Psychiatry's "Instructions for authors"
    (http://bjp.rcpsych.org/site/misc/ifora.xhtml):

I also just read the following Br J Psychiatry paper which is free at:
    http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/193/2/91.long :

-----
    The paper is only two pages long, and doesn't require any mathematical or scientific knowledge, so should be fairly accessible.

I have got frustrated that some people have only brought up financial conflicts of interest as a possible problem in the ME and CFS field.

Battery Muncher, Jarod, Simon and 8 others like this.
  2. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Just pulled out this quote from that paper where he talks of the:
    This problems of allegiance-to-theory bias seems to be dicussed surprisingly often in psychological research, though I haven't ever seen this translating to researchers disclosing allegiance-to-thoeries in 'conflict of interest' declarations.

3. Sean

Sean Senior Member

So,

(very modest subjective 'therapeutic' effect) x (100 - 69%) = ?

:whistle:

biophile likes this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Yeah - a lot of this sort of research leaves me thinking "Medicine needs to be made smaller". We shouldn't be routinely using treatments unless there's really good evidence that they're going to do more good than harm, and we often do not have that. If it is being made clear to a patient that they are trying an experimental treatment which may do more harm than good, and are provided access to the available data, then patients can make up their own minds about how to proceed.

See more popular forum discussions.