1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Non-compliance or client control?" (Fiveash, 1998)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Tom Kindlon, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

2. Tom Kindlon

Although it hasn't been explored too much in the literature, I think compliance and adherence is important in terms of activity and exercise programmes.

I discuss this a bit in my paper:

"Reporting of Harms Associated with Graded Exercise Therapy and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome"

Free at: http://iacfsme.org/BULLETINFALL2011/Fall2011KindlonHarmsPaperABSTRACT/tabid/501/Default.aspx

People with ME/CFS may have come across it in other situations e.g. not continuing taking a drug because of apparent adverse effects.

3. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    A great place to start - CBT/GET practitioners could learn a lot from examining this question. How are they helping us by getting us to answer questionnaires better when objective physical disability doesn't improve at all in the process? Do they really think that's what we want? Or do they even care?

4. Tom Kindlon

Unfortunately this study isn't open-access and I can't find a free copy.

I had this these sorts of issues in mind when I wrote this section in my paper (link above):

Esther12 and Valentijn like this.
  5. Tom Kindlon

This issue is closely related to coercion e.g. being forced to do a CBT/Graded Activity/GET programme by an insurance company (for example), or in a hospital.

Valentijn likes this.
  6. Tom Kindlon

As I mention above, it's only a short article (701 words including references in brackets), and I think is reasonably easy to read but for anyone who doesn't want to read it all, here are some extracts I thought were useful/interesting:

---
    ---
    * it was a nursing journal, but nurse could be substituted for any health or medical professional
    ---
    It ends:

Simon and Valentijn like this.
  7. Tom Kindlon

Incidentally, Barb Fiveash I believe is Dr. Barb Fiveash, author of "From Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia & IBS to Multisystem Dysregulation"

8. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

There is another aspect of compliance/non-compliance that is talked about in different subjects which is around how hard it is to be compliant.

Give people tasks that are too hard or just too many tasks (compliance budget) and they will fail to comply. The fault then is with those looking to gain compliance (i.e. those designing treatment plans). So my guess is that many patients don't comply with GET if they are told to push past their limits or carry on when they have a relapse. Of course people don't like to admit to being non compliant so therapists may not realise.

Valentijn and Tom Kindlon like this.
  9. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Interesting stuff indeed.

Some more recent developments chime with this (see patient revolution blog)

And this comes from the BMJ editorial this year "Let the Patient Revolution begin"
    Also relevant are e-patients, empowered patients, typified by 'e-patient Dave' (Dave deBronkart) who said that the idea originated with
    That's actively engaged, but not merely carrying out instructions. e-patient Dave had given a TED talk and penned a recent article for the BMJ, so this is very current.

Valentijn and Tom Kindlon like this.

See more popular forum discussions.