Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Non antibiotic alternatives for SIBO besides Candibactin-AR and Berberine?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Scotty81, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Scotty81

Scotty81

Hi,

I have a question relating to non-antibiotic treatments for SIBO. My daughter has tried both Candibactin-AR and Berberine, but has had different issues with each of them. The Candibactin-AR gave her a weird feeling somewhere between heartburn and acid reflux, but without the acid coming up. The Berberine, which she tried twice, gave her additional bloating, and a feeling of fullness, and she eventually had to vomiting and diarrhea.

I'm aware of Biocidin, but it has several Berberine related compounds, so we're concerned that it might produce the same results as the straight Berberine. The other issues are the aftertaste and the fact that it has oregano oil, which is one of the compounds in Candibactin.

I'm also aware of garlic, but not sure of its taste, even as a capsule/tablet.

Has anyone had any experience with alternatives to antibiotics, excluding compounds contained in either Berberine or Candibactin-AR? If you can share your experiences, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Scotty81

2. searcher

searcher

SF Bay Area
    ebethc likes this.
  3. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    @Scotty81 - my chiropractor recently suggested GI Microb-X for SIBO, which I tried (https://www.pureformulas.com/gi-microb-x-60-capsules-by-designs-for-health.html). It does have berberine, as well as several other things. It caused me to herx quite strongly, and I had to cut the dose - the good news is it seemed like it was helping my gut in a relatively short period of time - the bad news is, because I reacted so strongly to it, I had to stop it because I am leaving to see Dr. Kaufman on Monday, and could not take the fatigue and weakness induced by herxing when I travel.

I'm wondering if your daughter's reaction to the berberine was dose dependent - if she might be able to tolerate something like the Gi Microb-X, since it has several other ingredients, as well as berberine.

I want to get back on it as soon as I return from Mountain View, Thurs or Fri of next week. The chiropractor told me to take 2 capsules a day, but when I restart it, will go with one a day, or even one every other day, and see how I do.

ebethc likes this.
  4. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    @Scotty81 ive been looking at the one mary has recommended.

It's $20 cheaper on amazon and other places have it for $44. I'm not sure why pure formulas is so expensive. They usually are competitive.

5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Caution is advised with berberine, particularly in ME/CFS:

I found this website of Dr Allison Siebecker has useful info for SIBO:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    maryb, Hanna and Oci like this.
  6. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Here's my blog account of the research I did on antibiotic alternatives. Includes links to further resources.

7. adreno

adreno PR activist

Mastic gum.

8. Scotty81

Scotty81

Thanks to everyone for their input. I will check these out.

9. Oci

Oci Senior Member

Many thanks Hip. I have been taking Candibactin for the past couple of years and lately wondering about the advisability of doing so. I have GI dysbiosis including chronic candida and do feel better when I take Candida BR. However, I also have brain fog often and memory problems.

Now I am wondering what to do next?!

See more popular forum discussions.