1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
No Longer Naive in the Ways of The Beast
After having lived for years with ME/CFS, Jody Smith learned there's more to this beast of an illness than she realized, and that what might help one person may not help others ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Non alcoholic beer clinical study!

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by richard jarritt, Jun 1, 2013.

1. richard jarritt

richard jarritt

Hi guys,

Following finding a couple of research papers on the anti-inflammatory effect of non-alcoholic beer
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21659904

I started drinking loads of becks blue, and when i dont have at least 6 bottles a day my cfs becomes far far worse.

I dont want to try and encourage anything that would worsen anyone but i cant see how in anyway
    this would be risky, perhaps someone on the forum with more experience would put there opinion
    on trying such an exercise and any saftey issues if someone else were to try?

i really feel this makes my day at least 50% better by drinking this stuff and helps manage reduce
    that intense feeling of being 'ill' the flu like effect.
  2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    richard jarritt

The gluten could be a problem if you are gluten sensitive.

Sushi
  3. richard jarritt

richard jarritt

Thanks sushi, if anybody else has any thoughts please say!
  4. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London

Could it just be the hydrating effect of having lots of liquid? I feel better when I remember to drink lots of water.
  5. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    Why non-alcholic beer? I believe the study was looking at this related to the anti-inflammatory effect of polyphenols. I wouldn't be able to handle one non-alcoholic beer let alone 6 per day due to a variety of reasons.

I feel much better if I keep myself hydrated. I have tried various things with polyphenols and haven't had any effects either positive or negative.

Here's an interesting point. A study showed that beer (even non-alcoholic) improves copper utilization in rats with copper deficiency. I have no idea if that even translates to humans but might be something to consider.
  6. richard jarritt

richard jarritt

jenny im sure its not just taking in more fluid, its a very different feeling to just having two liters of water,
    i have to still drink some water or i feel de-hydrated by the afternoon.

Kina: I always suggest non-alcoholic beer as ordinary beer will work but i find any alcohol far too much for my
    body to handle, i would just need to lay down if i had a real drink. Another study found that the hops
    contains a type of anti-inflamatory think it was called RIAA but have no idea what that stands for.!
  7. Sherlock

Sherlock bicarb for exercise recovery and taming candida

US
    Here's the background to that: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110609112901.htm

It seems marathoners have long craved NAB after events. Maybe I will start adding lots more wheat to my home brew - but the article doesn't say where all the polyphenols are coming from exactly, from added hops or whatever.

8. richard jarritt

richard jarritt

Hi sherlock: ive tried using different brands, and the ones with wheat in i find dont work nearly as good as just plain, barley hops and water yeast, those simple four ingredients seem to be what works for me the best!
    Sherlock likes this.
  9. Sherlock

US
    Hi, Richard. Sometimes out of the blue I get a craving for beer, having nothing to do with the alcohol. I always casually assumed it was the minerals, but maybe it is the polyphenols either/or/and or even in combination. Maybe I'll buy hops if I come across them being sold somewhere (fat chance of that, I suppose).

Kina 's idea goes along with that combination idea.

Here's an FFT showing that taking copper gluconate over time changed no levels:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/42/4/681.long

I bought copper tablets and have been trying to learn how to maximize absorption - at least we know to avoid zinc at the same time.

(Kina, I learned the use of @ today and am using it all over :)
  10. richard jarritt

richard jarritt

I feel its probably the hops as the pharma companies are putting money into researching what is in them.

i keep talking about the non-alcohol beer as its the only way to consume a big amount without the liver
    being put under strain etc! I want to only get the good effects.

im going to look into these copper points youve raised as i havent gone into this much yet!
    Sherlock likes this.
  11. Sherlock

US
    How to Brew Antioxidant Rich Beer
    http://www.wikihow.com/Brew-Antioxidant-Rich-Beer

then
    and
    So maybe the yeast does contribute some antioxidants.

I wonder if anybody makes concentrated beer extract :) If not yet, it'll be soon.
    richard jarritt likes this.
  12. richard jarritt

richard jarritt

sherlock, good information on the various elements that might be at work in beer in your post.

ive found these two things in the hops as an anti inflammatory:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19655312

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/38763.php

if the ingredients help to block the chemical processes that cause inflammation it is directly
    affecting our immune response.

in the hops bitter acid study they are concluding that it blocks all manor of things, i have no idea
    what it means but i know the difference it makes to me! im going to sleep and i have one next to me right now, i sip it even at night!
  13. Sherlock

US
  14. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Regarding Richard's very interesting treatment of ME/CFS with non-alcoholic beer:

On Richard's other thread (in this post HERE) I agree that the hops in beer may be one of the main factors in Richard's ME/CFS recovery. In particular, I think it is the alpha acids and iso-alpha acids within hops that may be the most beneficial for ME/CFS. These are super-healthy substances.

You can actually buy supplements containing alpha acids and iso-alpha acids; and in my post I give reasons why such supplements may be more potent than drinking non-alcoholic beer (especially for people with yeast allergies, who need to avoid beer).
    Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.