• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Non alcoholic beer clinical study!

Hi guys,

Following finding a couple of research papers on the anti-inflammatory effect of non-alcoholic beer
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21659904

I started drinking loads of becks blue, and when i dont have at least 6 bottles a day my cfs becomes far far worse.

I dont want to try and encourage anything that would worsen anyone but i cant see how in anyway
this would be risky, perhaps someone on the forum with more experience would put there opinion
on trying such an exercise and any saftey issues if someone else were to try?

i really feel this makes my day at least 50% better by drinking this stuff and helps manage reduce
that intense feeling of being 'ill' the flu like effect.

Why non-alcholic beer? I believe the study was looking at this related to the anti-inflammatory effect of polyphenols. I wouldn't be able to handle one non-alcoholic beer let alone 6 per day due to a variety of reasons.

I feel much better if I keep myself hydrated. I have tried various things with polyphenols and haven't had any effects either positive or negative.

Here's an interesting point. A study showed that beer (even non-alcoholic) improves copper utilization in rats with copper deficiency. I have no idea if that even translates to humans but might be something to consider.

jenny im sure its not just taking in more fluid, its a very different feeling to just having two liters of water,
i have to still drink some water or i feel de-hydrated by the afternoon.

Kina: I always suggest non-alcoholic beer as ordinary beer will work but i find any alcohol far too much for my
body to handle, i would just need to lay down if i had a real drink. Another study found that the hops
contains a type of anti-inflamatory think it was called RIAA but have no idea what that stands for.!

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Here's the background to that: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110609112901.htm

It seems marathoners have long craved NAB after events. Maybe I will start adding lots more wheat to my home brew - but the article doesn't say where all the polyphenols are coming from exactly, from added hops or whatever.

Non-alcoholic Erdinger wheat beer was selected as the test beverage, chosen for its rich and varied polyphenol content and its popularity with marathoners and tri-athletes

Hi sherlock: ive tried using different brands, and the ones with wheat in i find dont work nearly as good as just plain, barley hops and water yeast, those simple four ingredients seem to be what works for me the best!

Sherlock

Hi sherlock: ive tried using different brands, and the ones with wheat in i find dont work nearly as good as just plain, barley hops and water yeast, those simple four ingredients seem to be what works for me the best!
Hi, Richard. Sometimes out of the blue I get a craving for beer, having nothing to do with the alcohol. I always casually assumed it was the minerals, but maybe it is the polyphenols either/or/and or even in combination. Maybe I'll buy hops if I come across them being sold somewhere (fat chance of that, I suppose).

Kina 's idea goes along with that combination idea.

Here's an FFT showing that taking copper gluconate over time changed no levels:
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/42/4/681.long

I bought copper tablets and have been trying to learn how to maximize absorption - at least we know to avoid zinc at the same time.

(Kina, I learned the use of @ today and am using it all over :)

I feel its probably the hops as the pharma companies are putting money into researching what is in them.

i keep talking about the non-alcohol beer as its the only way to consume a big amount without the liver
being put under strain etc! I want to only get the good effects.

im going to look into these copper points youve raised as i havent gone into this much yet!

Sherlock

How to Brew Antioxidant Rich Beer
http://www.wikihow.com/Brew-Antioxidant-Rich-Beer

Malted barley is the primary ingredient from which beer is made, and is higher in polyphenol antioxidants than most other grains, such as rice and corn (although corn is apparently a good source of polyphenols)...
then
Choose hops that are high in polyphenol antioxidants. Noble, low alpha acid hops such as the Saaz variety tend to have a higher polyphenol content than high alpha acid bittering hops. Fresh hops will also be a better source of polyphenol antioxidants, as the polyphenols will degrade over time. However, fresh hops must be used very soon after they are harvested, preferably within twenty four hours.
and
This living yeast will not only provide antioxidants and nutrients for the beer consumer, but will also actively help to preserve the freshness and antioxidant content of the beer by consuming oxygen and producing carbon dioxide
So maybe the yeast does contribute some antioxidants.

I wonder if anybody makes concentrated beer extract :) If not yet, it'll be soon.

sherlock, good information on the various elements that might be at work in beer in your post.

ive found these two things in the hops as an anti inflammatory:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19655312

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/38763.php

if the ingredients help to block the chemical processes that cause inflammation it is directly
affecting our immune response.

in the hops bitter acid study they are concluding that it blocks all manor of things, i have no idea
what it means but i know the difference it makes to me! im going to sleep and i have one next to me right now, i sip it even at night!

Hip

Regarding Richard's very interesting treatment of ME/CFS with non-alcoholic beer:

On Richard's other thread (in this post HERE) I agree that the hops in beer may be one of the main factors in Richard's ME/CFS recovery. In particular, I think it is the alpha acids and iso-alpha acids within hops that may be the most beneficial for ME/CFS. These are super-healthy substances.

You can actually buy supplements containing alpha acids and iso-alpha acids; and in my post I give reasons why such supplements may be more potent than drinking non-alcoholic beer (especially for people with yeast allergies, who need to avoid beer).