A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Nk cell defiencies and herpes viruses

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by heapsreal, Dec 23, 2011.

1. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    There are a surprisingly large number of human natural killer (NK) cell deficiency states that provide insight into the role of NK cells in defense against human infectious disease. Many disorders associated with NK cell defects are caused by single gene mutations and, thus, give additional understanding concerning the function of specific molecules in NK cell development and activities. A resounding theme of NK cell deficiencies is susceptibility to herpesviruses, suggesting that unexplained severe herpesviral infection should raise the possibility of an NK cell deficit.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12505527

SOC and vli like this.
  2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    No scientist heaps - this in the light of findings/suspects so far certainly makes sense to me.

3. allyb

allyb Senior Member

I am no scientist either, in my ignorance I often wonder 'chicken and egg' would you catch a virile strain of the herpes virus because you already had single gene mutations in your NK cells or would the virile strain of herpes that you had caught cause a single gene mutations in your NK cells?

As I am relatively new to PR I don't know if this has been posted and discussed before (should it be on a thread of its own?) My apologies if it has but I would love your opinion and that of others.
    kind regards
    allyb

link

http://www.wehi.edu.au/site/latest_...ew_targets_for_eliminating_chronic_infections

4. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I did come accross a few links to a dysfunctional gene in nk cell defiency states, not sure but i think this type of defiency state is a lack of nk cells, where in cfs there can be normal amount of nk cells but they just dont work?? But u would think that all the co-infection that go with it would be the same??
    good link allby.

5. searcher

searcher

SF Bay Area
    Hi allyb- That's a good question. I am not a scientist but have a biology background, so hopefully someone will correct me if I make a mistake. A single gene mutation is something you are born with and is passed down from your parents. So the deficient states talked about in heapsreal's link are not caused by herpes viruses. But our situations could be different, since as far as we know CFS patients weren't born with deficient NK cells (although I suspect we don't know that for sure.) The only researcher I have discussed this with thinks that the low NK cell function is the reason for herpes viruses going crazy, and that there is another underlying cause for the NK cell dysfunction. I think figuring out the cause of the NK cell dysfunction will be they key to this illness.

6. floydguy

floydguy Senior Member

Genetic pre-disposition to low perforin?

7. allyb

allyb Senior Member

Thanks heapsreal,
    I read somewhere but cant remember where that the herpes virus affects the memory of the NK cell, so to speak?

Thank you searcher, I am trying to understand this and make it relevant to me to do so.

This would make sense because I never caught anything until I had an open mouth wound in hospital last year in my late 40is until then I was as fit as could be. Surly if I had a deficiency I would had caught other things before this and suffered poor health, wouldnt I??

It would seem like I had a highly effective immune for 48years

This would seem to make sense to me (a simple soul)
    But it cant be detected so our tests are clear...... right?

Are our T cells compromised in ME/CFS?

Floydguy

What is perforin and please could you explain it.

8. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia
  9. globalpilot

globalpilot Senior Member

Ontario
    Rodney Dietert is a toxicologist and has taken an interest in immune system dysfunction and CFS and particularly what agents disrupt immune dysfunction. There is a table here listing the different dysfunctions and agents known to cause the dysfunction.

http://www.cfids-cab.org/rc/Dietert.pdf

10. globalpilot

globalpilot Senior Member

Ontario

See more popular forum discussions.