The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Nitrovasodilators - Worth a try?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by AdamS, Jun 7, 2017.

1. AdamS

AdamS Senior Member

I remember reading this thread by @zzz which detailed a remarkable full remission for 8 years after taking Isordil.

There was also another by @gregh286 which reported some temporary success from the use of NO2 Black.

Has anyone else had success from nitrovasodilators such as Nitroglycerin, Isordil etc and do you reckon it's worth a shot?

Thanks, Adam

2. melihtas

melihtas Senior Member

Istanbul Turkey
    I have tried many different vasodilators including Isordil and Nitroglycerin and I didn't have any relief from any of my symptoms.

Fluge and Mella reported that some patients had instant relief with Isordil and patented its use for ME, so a subset of ME patients may benefit from it. It is easy to use and you can find out if it is working for you or not in a short time. I think every ME patient should try it unless they have low blood pressure.

zzz and AdamS like this.
  3. AdamS

AdamS Senior Member

Thanks for the insight...I do have POTS and relatively low blood pressure I think, as long as it doesn't kill me I guess it is worth a try!

4. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

I think if you have POTS you can also try a low dose of propranolol.

5. AdamS

AdamS Senior Member

@Gijs I've experimented with Propranolol at 5mg, 10mg & 20mg and didn't really find that it gave any noticable benefit.

Also tried Ivabradine/Midodrine.

xrayspex likes this.
  6. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    I tried propranolol years ago and it helped my performance anxiety :) but the next day I felt so drained because of my very low b/p definitely not good one for me

also tried midodrine a couple of times over the years and there was like a year I took a very small dose, many years ago, and it definitely helped some keep me going more....when i tried it like 10 years later couldn't tolerate it anymore

is there any risk with taking Nitroglycerin or Isordil with hypotension?

7. Tunguska

Tunguska Senior Member

I always thought NO boosters with low pressure seemed off but I'd defer to the people who actually have POTS on that for real experience. Not having low pressure I did benefit from NO boosters and I think it's worth a shot as long as you expect it to be temporary and use sporadically.

Technically NO is somewhat anti-metabolic by nature, but if poor blood flow/hypoperfusion is a major part of your pathology then the increased flow may give greater relief than whatever negative effects it has, as long as you aren't generating tons of peroxynitrite. It is two-faced and not ideal but when it works it really helps.

AdamS likes this.
  8. kangaSue

kangaSue Senior Member

Brisbane, Australia
    I don't have ME/CFS but do have autonomic dysfunction causing chronic GI problems and low b.p. (diagnosed with Autonomic Neuropathy too which is very common in those with POTS) and a nitrate that was prescribed for intestinal ischemia (nicorandil) helped a lot with symptoms of chronic GI dysfunction as well as raising my b.p. so it can be beneficial in some with autonomic issues too.
    A few found benefit in this thread http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ith-or-without-b-cell-depletion-in-cfs.36592/

9. gregh286

gregh286 Senior Member

Londonderry, Northern Ireland.

Don't think much to gain from it.
    No2 black worked cos body used it as alternative fuel supply. Originally I thought vasodialtor effect. Glutamine gives same boost.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    AdamS likes this.
  10. AdamS

AdamS Senior Member

@gregh286 Cheers for the input, always appreciate your insights on this stuff!

11. Wonkmonk

Wonkmonk Senior Member

Germany
    A few decades ago, Dr. Goldstein reported about instant relief for some CFS patients who took nitroglycerin, but he never published scientific controlled studies.

Still, I'd be curious: What dose of Isordil or Nitroglycerin should I take if I give it a try?

12. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Here is how I see it, since most CFS have OI, if you do good on it, is a win, if you do bad, is a good indication that you need the other type (vasoconstriction).
    Before I understood OI, I did horribly on vasodilator foods and teas: Alchool made me feel horrible, sunbathing horrible.... All dilators.
    Then I realized I did great on vasoconstriction things, and when they put me in vasocontrictions drug I did great. So is a tip one way or the other. I am no doctor just my opinion. But if you google every food of each arm, you will know rather soon which will work for you.
    (Coffee does not count, it is complicated).

AdamS likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.