• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nitrovasodilators - Worth a try?

AdamS

I remember reading this thread by @zzz which detailed a remarkable full remission for 8 years after taking Isordil.

There was also another by @gregh286 which reported some temporary success from the use of NO2 Black.

Has anyone else had success from nitrovasodilators such as Nitroglycerin, Isordil etc and do you reckon it's worth a shot?

Thanks, Adam

melihtas

I have tried many different vasodilators including Isordil and Nitroglycerin and I didn't have any relief from any of my symptoms.

Fluge and Mella reported that some patients had instant relief with Isordil and patented its use for ME, so a subset of ME patients may benefit from it. It is easy to use and you can find out if it is working for you or not in a short time. I think every ME patient should try it unless they have low blood pressure.

AdamS

Thanks for the insight...I do have POTS and relatively low blood pressure I think, as long as it doesn't kill me I guess it is worth a try!

AdamS

@Gijs I've experimented with Propranolol at 5mg, 10mg & 20mg and didn't really find that it gave any noticable benefit.

Also tried Ivabradine/Midodrine.

xrayspex

@Gijs I've experimented with Propranolol at 5mg, 10mg & 20mg and didn't really find that it gave any noticable benefit.

Also tried Ivabradine/Midodrine.
I tried propranolol years ago and it helped my performance anxiety :) but the next day I felt so drained because of my very low b/p definitely not good one for me

also tried midodrine a couple of times over the years and there was like a year I took a very small dose, many years ago, and it definitely helped some keep me going more....when i tried it like 10 years later couldn't tolerate it anymore

is there any risk with taking Nitroglycerin or Isordil with hypotension?

I always thought NO boosters with low pressure seemed off but I'd defer to the people who actually have POTS on that for real experience. Not having low pressure I did benefit from NO boosters and I think it's worth a shot as long as you expect it to be temporary and use sporadically.

Technically NO is somewhat anti-metabolic by nature, but if poor blood flow/hypoperfusion is a major part of your pathology then the increased flow may give greater relief than whatever negative effects it has, as long as you aren't generating tons of peroxynitrite. It is two-faced and not ideal but when it works it really helps.

kangaSue

Thanks for the insight...I do have POTS and relatively low blood pressure I think, as long as it doesn't kill me I guess it is worth a try!
I don't have ME/CFS but do have autonomic dysfunction causing chronic GI problems and low b.p. (diagnosed with Autonomic Neuropathy too which is very common in those with POTS) and a nitrate that was prescribed for intestinal ischemia (nicorandil) helped a lot with symptoms of chronic GI dysfunction as well as raising my b.p. so it can be beneficial in some with autonomic issues too.
Fluge and Mella reported that some patients had instant relief with Isordil and patented its use for ME, so a subset of ME patients may benefit from it.
A few found benefit in this thread http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ith-or-without-b-cell-depletion-in-cfs.36592/

gregh286

I remember reading this thread by @zzz which detailed a remarkable full remission for 8 years after taking Isordil.

There was also another by @gregh286 which reported some temporary success from the use of NO2 Black.

Has anyone else had success from nitrovasodilators such as Nitroglycerin, Isordil etc and do you reckon it's worth a shot?

Thanks, Adam

Don't think much to gain from it.
No2 black worked cos body used it as alternative fuel supply. Originally I thought vasodialtor effect. Glutamine gives same boost.

Last edited:

Wonkmonk

A few decades ago, Dr. Goldstein reported about instant relief for some CFS patients who took nitroglycerin, but he never published scientific controlled studies.

Still, I'd be curious: What dose of Isordil or Nitroglycerin should I take if I give it a try?

Seven7

Seven
Cheers for the input, always appreciate your insights on this stuff!
Here is how I see it, since most CFS have OI, if you do good on it, is a win, if you do bad, is a good indication that you need the other type (vasoconstriction).
Before I understood OI, I did horribly on vasodilator foods and teas: Alchool made me feel horrible, sunbathing horrible.... All dilators.
Then I realized I did great on vasoconstriction things, and when they put me in vasocontrictions drug I did great. So is a tip one way or the other. I am no doctor just my opinion. But if you google every food of each arm, you will know rather soon which will work for you.
(Coffee does not count, it is complicated).