1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Nitrates (beetjuice!) enhance exercise tolerance

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Cort, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    The chemistry of this is way beyond me but if ME/CFS patients have problems with aerobic metabolism (O2 consumption) and the nitrates in beet juice reduce the need for O2 consumption during exercise then I wonder if there's something in there for us?

They are talking about mitochondrial respiration and muscle contractile energetics. Maybe someone else can lend a hand with nitrates, oxygen consumption, the mitochondria and muscle activity.

J Appl Physiol. 2009 Aug 6. [Epub ahead of print]
    Dietary nitrate supplementation reduces the O2 cost of low-intensity exercise and enhances tolerance to high-intensity exercise in humans.

High levels of plasma nitrite for apparently good. Systolic blood pressure was reduced, time to exhaustion was increased: they could apparently do more with less by drinking beet juice.

Here are the authors

BUT, BUT, BUT, BUT At the recent Reno conference Suarez from Spain found.......guess what INCREASED NITRATES in ME/CFS patients

God knows what's going on....

See more popular forum discussions.