1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

nitazoxinide as antiviral (hcv, entero etc) any experience?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by leaves, Oct 30, 2010.

1. leaves

leaves Senior Member

I am considering asking my dr for a trial of nitazoxinide. This was originally used for parasitic infections but recently it was discovered that it is also a potent antiviral. Studies indicate that it works against hepatitis as well as enteroviruses. any experiences?
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    does it have any effect on herpes viruses that u know of from your research??

cheers!!!
  3. leaves

leaves Senior Member

no studies that used nitazoxinide for herpes viruses that i know of... however they do say it targets a lot of viruses. But I guess visticide valtrex or acyclovir are most suitable for the herpes viruses?
  4. Emootje

Emootje Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Very interesting!

Nitazoxanide has antiviral action against:

• Hepatitis B
    • Hepatitis C
    • Rotavirus
    • Norovirus
    • Influenza A virus

• Adenovirus
    ...but I can't find a studie about the anti-enterovirus action of nitazoxanide. I would certainly
    expect there is an anti-enterovirus action....but I can't find it online...so I'm very curious.
  5. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    Dr. Cheney was using that sometimes in last couple years.
  6. leaves

leaves Senior Member

7. Emootje

Emootje Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Great! You are a ME/CFS pioneer! :thumbsup: I am very curious...
    About the enteroviruses: noroviruses and rotaviruses are enteric viruses and they are not enteroviruses. The names are a bit confusing...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterovirus
  8. leaves

leaves Senior Member

Eh you are right:oops:
  9. leaves

leaves Senior Member

Been having a bad few days, with lots of sleep and total exhaustion. So I woke up really really bad today.. and took my first alinia pill and.. about 4 hours later I feel a lot better. Much to early to say anything, could be coincidence, regression to the mean, placebo etc, but at least it is not a bad sign. I hope this is going to work as I really need a break.
  10. Emootje

Emootje Senior Member

The Netherlands
    It's a good start.
    Let's hope for more improvement.
    Go leaves!
  11. lucy

lucy Senior Member

i wanted to get it for Blastocystis treatment but it is unavailable in Italy. Instead I am taking flagyl. Is it possible that a doctor prescribes medication to be bought in another country? for example, I am going to germany soon for 2 days.
  12. leaves

leaves Senior Member

Yes that is possible, you can also order it online at a canadian pharmacy or goldpharma. So you have blasto right? That is hard to treat. I finally got rid of it by taking
    Nitazoxanide 1 tab 500 mg 2 time a day ,( brand name is Alinia)
    Furazolidone 1 tab 100 mg 3 time a day (brand name is Furoxone)
    Secnidazole 1 tab 3 times a day (brand name Flagentyl,Sindose)
    for 10 days. That is the badbugs protocol. Frankly it did not help my symptoms getting rid of it, but just wanted to share with you.
  13. lucy

lucy Senior Member

Thank you very much, Leaves. I will have again the test in a couple of weeks to find out if flagyl did anything to it and if not, I will ensure next time I try to treat it with badbugs protocol. My current main symptom, which is severe DOMS, has improved, but has not resolved completely.
  14. Emootje

Emootje Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Hi Leaves,
    I'm curious about the nitazoxinide trail. Any improvement?

See more popular forum discussions.