Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

NIHR (UK) to fund "Medically Unexplained Symptoms (MUS): Primary Care Intervention"

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

@Maxwhd on Twitter highlighted the following:

-----

http://scharrheds.blogspot.ie/2015/08/new-projects.html

-----

(from The University of Sheffield (UK) website)

*i.e. the taxpayer.

Perhaps further information is available somewhere.

I don't like the Medically Unexplained Symptoms category. I particularly don't like when they have trials of behavioural interventions for them:
    basically they tend to amount to "we'll call the various mixed bag of conditions medically unexplained but we'll assume they're due to the same/similar maladaptive beliefs and behaviours"

Valentijn, Raines, Debbie23 and 8 others like this.
  2. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    True.

Worse, they tend to get what is really a null result and find a way to call it effective. What a waste of money, and even worse, of patients' and doctors' time and effort, not to mention the ill effect on patient-doctor relations and various aspects of patient wellbeing.

Valentijn, Cheshire, Woolie and 4 others like this.
  3. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Whenever you see articles about "medically unexplained symptoms" you will inevitably see within it an alarming statement about how much these troublesome patients overutilise health care resources, and end up costing a fortune in time and money (which, it is implied, could be much better spent on genuine deserving patients, although this is never said, merely implied).

So yea, I expect the UK NIHR has bought this argument and thinks interventions like this might help these troublesome people to go away.

To me, statements about the high prevalence of medically unexplained symptoms are nothing more than statements of the limits of our current medical understanding. The fact these patients use a lot of health resources is because they're looking for answers, but are being constantly fobbed off. Best way to cut their utilisation is to find some answers, not news ways to fob them off.

Valentijn, Kyla, John Mac and 4 others like this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I'm sure these interventions do make people go away. The more ridiculous and harmful they are, the more likely the patients will not return.

Valentijn, Dolphin, Sean and 6 others like this.
  5. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    Are there any studies that compare the prevalence of "MUS" to the inability of physicians to accurately diagnose disease? Now that would be interesting and informative research...

Valentijn and Woolie like this.

See more popular forum discussions.