• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NIH takes action to bolster research on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

jimells

"According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, ME/CFS is estimated to affect more than 1 million Americans, and has been reported in people younger than 10 years of age and older than age 70. ME/CFS is an acquired, chronic multi-system disease characterized by systemic exertion intolerance, <- that's different.

. . . "resulting in significant relapse after exertion of any sort. The disease includes immune, neurological and cognitive impairment; sleep abnormalities; and dysfunction of the autonomic system, which controls several basic bodilyfunctions.
<- the neurological and autonomic inclusion here is an excellent addition in the basic description of CFS from the past where is was tacked on as an afterthought and then only sometimes.

Sir Simon and pals have finally been cut loose by the NIH, haha. It won't be long before the insurers claim

Disability Insurers said:
Simon Who? Never heard of him.

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
I get the feeling now and again that govt initiatives like this NIH announcement are more about dealing with govt-preferred researchers rather than patients, not what patients want to hear, I know.

Already the cracks are showing. Consider this statement in Cort's latest blog, talking about the NIH announcements, bearing in mind that Cort does have conflicts of interest in this area:

There is also a potential downside to this study. The study clearly got it’s genesis from Ron Davis’s End ME/CFS project. Davis and Linda Tanenbaum met several times with NIH officials in an attempt to secure funding for their intense examination of ME/CFS patients. NIH officials were reportedly gratified by the brain-power Davis had enlisted in his project but funding was denied by NINDS. Now the NIH has turned around and is doing a similar project; i.e. Davis’s grand project now has competition.

As good as the NIH’s clinical study will be, given the choice between Davis’s project and the NIH’s one, the Davis project is the clear winner for the ME/CFS community.