The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

NIH Program Announcement For CFS Lists Areas of Research NIH is interested in

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Cort, May 16, 2011.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-08-246.html#SectionI

"Mangan's imprint is definitely on this. Check out the inclusion of ME...They also emphasis microbrial infections...At one point in the last decade the NIH basically said we're not studying pathogens anymore.

There is a definite focus on intersystemic signaling - how the different systems of the body talk to each other. They have focused on that for quite a while. I like his idea to try and ally ME/CFS with other disorders - although we'll see how that turns out. There is also a focus on gender; I think its a good idea to look at why women are more like to get ME/CFS and FM and,,,.,..a focus on subsets,

I've never seen the desire to control for phase of the menstrual cycle....I imagine this has something to do with the 'subtle perturbations' mentioned and the fear that the menstrual cycle will swamp them....it seems a bit much, though to ask a researcher to do that....that's alot of work to make sure your participants are 'in phase'.

I like this because it gets us an entree into other disorders funding

Never seen 'clock related genes' before -

This is one of my favorites

It like all federal announcements of this type is very broad and there will be things in here that are objectionable to some; that is expected and there's alot of good in here.

The proof is in the pudding and what kind of studies they end up funding.

2. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

Cort, is this really new or revised compared to the old PA? I didn't save the old PA but it doesn't look new to me on skimming it. The same deadlines still apply -- the PA expires 9/ 2011 and I don't know if it will be renewed yet.

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I would be interested in this also. Here's a link to one Release/Posted Date: August 21, 2008 http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-08-246.html . It mentions "also known as myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME/CFS)". Cort may have assumed it was new because of that mention (it had got me thinking) but I'm not sure now. I don't have the time/energy to look into it in more detail.

4. svetoslav80

svetoslav80 svetoslav80 at gmail.com

Bulgaria
    Interesting, I have chronic pelvic pain syndrome.

See more popular forum discussions.