• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NIH ME/CFS Advocacy Call November 2, 2016

aaron_c

I kept thinking about Ron Davis' proposal that got rejected, I think because he wanted to gather data that wasn't in support of any particular theory. It seemed like a catch-22--you can't do research into the disease until you come up with a shiny new theory, but you can't come up with a shiny new theory until you do more research. They kept talking about how the grant process is very competitive, all the while very nearly dismissing as sour grapes complaints about how infrequently ME/CFS research is approved.

At one point one of the doctors said that the model they are working off of is one where initial research is done by outside parties, and then once something promising shows up the NIH funds that. But again, it seems like we are being punished for not having an easily categorized or treated disease, all the while being told that we shouldn't be concerned with the lack of grants as it is a natural consequence of our researchers not being at the top of their games this round.

I appreciate that many of the doctors who took part in the call work tirelessly to advance ME/CFS research and we are lucky to have them. But reading the transcript I can't tell if they really have absolute faith in the system or if they just can't criticize the NIH while they work there. At times it felt like the speakers were gaslighting us simply because they didn't have the authority to be more blunt.

Still, I have a limited understanding of how the NIH works. Perhaps they will prove me wrong. I hope they do.

On a different note, I was encouraged to hear that the RFA's should be funded at a level comparable to "other diseases." Time will tell.

aaron_c

I realized this morning that another explanation is that the speakers were unaware of the specifics of what happened to Ron Davis' grant application. I would say it is the most reasonable explanation, except that at least one questioner alluded to a lack of expertise in the grant-reviewing committee, and whoever answered seemed familiar with the issue.

Dolphin

Marian Emr: Please remember to send your questions to braininfo@ninds.nih.gov. And for those of you who aren’t near a computer or a pencil and paper, you can go to the main NIH ME/CFS website and simply click on the Contact Us button at the bottom to submit those questions.

You can also use that button to add your name to our list serv for future news and information. If you didn’t receive an email from us directly about today’s conference, then you might want to do that.
What is the link for this?

I clicked
on
https://www.nih.gov/research-training/medical-research-initiatives/mecfs

This is the list I got:

The National Institutes of Health (NIH) offers updates on the topics below. Subscribe by checking the boxes; unsubscribe by unchecking the boxes.

Access your subscriber preferences to update your subscriptions or modify your password or email address without adding subscriptions.

• Subscription Topics
    All pages in: News

News Releases
    Director's Blog
    NIH Research Matters
    NIH News in Health
    NIH Health Information
    NIH OD YouTube Channel
    NIH Record (Employee Newsletter)
    PMI
    Reproducibility
    Communicating Health and Science

All pages in: About NIH

Director's Blog
    Director's Page
    NIH Record (Employee Newsletter)
    PMI
    Communicating Health and Science

All pages in: Health

NIH Health Information
    NIH News in Health
    NIH Research Matters
    Aging and Senior Health
    AIDS/HIV
    Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
    Alzheimer's Disease/Dementia
    Arthritis
    Asthma and Allergy
    Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
    Autism
    Blood and Circulation
    Bone Health and Osteoporosis
    Brain and Nervous System
    Breast Cancer
    Breathing Problems/Respiratory Health
    Cancer
    Caregiving
    Child and Teen Health
    Cholesterol
    Complementary and Integrative Health
    Dental Health