Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

NIH Funds New Microarray System to Detect Herpes and Enteroviruses in CSF

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Gemini, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

http://www.genomeweb.com//node/975704?hq_e=el&hq_m=1061384&hq_l=2&hq_v=e03439a25b

Specifically, the Frederick, Md.-based company [Akonni] is using the [$300K NIH] grant to develop a closed amplicon RT-PCR microarray for detecting enterovirus, herpes viruses, and West Nile virus in CSF. The herpes viruses targeted by the technology include herpes simplex virus types 1 and 2; varicella-zoster virus; cytomegalovirus; and human herpesvirus type 6.

2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    That is encouraging to see Gemini - many thanks, always felt something should have been found at lumbar puncture stage way back.

3. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

Agree Enid. They reference diagnosis of "viral encephalitis":

The Laboratory of Viral Diseases at the Wadsworth Center in Albany, NY, is collaborating on the project. Together it and Akonni will "study, develop, and test a 'closed amplicon' gel element of RT-PCR and contribute to the development of more rapid, affordable, and comprehensive methods for diagnosing viral encephalitis and meningitis," Akonni said.

Hope Akonni is aware of ME/CFS.

See more popular forum discussions.