Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

NIH awards nearly $100 million for Autism Centers of Excellence program

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Kati, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Kati

Kati Patient in training

This is what NIH funding looks like:

NIH awards nearly $100 million for Autism Centers of Excellence program

More at this link.

Joh, Valentijn, Sean and 15 others like this.
  2. Groggy Doggy

Groggy Doggy Building a New Home

I hope the grants help the ever so growing population impacted by ASD

3. HowToEscape?

HowToEscape? Senior Member

Autism has been around forever. It was only recently that it's become widely known and also acceptable. The criteria for diagnosing autism have widened considerably, which is a somewhat complicated topic. There may be an increase in the number of artistic kids being born but the reason is that parents with such tendencies are now employable (engineering, software) and are able to meet and form families. There is no sudden epidemic of autism. There is much better recognition and early intervention.

If early diagnosis and research on effective treatments had been done for us, most of us would not now be sick.

Groggy Doggy and Webdog like this.
  4. Webdog

Webdog Nothing left to say

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    ahimsa, Joh, mango and 4 others like this.
  5. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Webdog and Joh like this.
  6. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Autism is blessed by several things - the most important of which is effective advocacy. I don't know about 20 years ago a philanphropist devoted a good chunk of change to advocacy. They've got a very effective advocacy movement - and are important players now. Good for them.

Since Naviaux believes autism and ME/CFS are spectrum diseases; i.e. they're on the same spectrum of illness and have similar metabolomics findings, who knows - something they uncover in autism may apply in ME/CFS one day

Naviaux's small Suramin drug trial in autism went very well. Now he wants to give it a try in autism.

Webdog, HowToEscape? and Joh like this.
  7. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    And they have parents who love them dearly and will do practically anything to help their children, surely helps!

GG

Webdog likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.