• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NIH announcement and ME/CFS voices and stories heard

I happened to send NIH Director Collins another email Wednesday October 28th, and I received this email on Thursday October 29th morning: (to be read, but not copied or posted elsewhere): Yesterday's NIH announcement was a dramatic shift, and I thank all who have advocated for the ME/CFS patients, as I truly believe everyone's voices have truly been heard.

Dear XXX XXXXXXX,

Thanks for your note. I am touched and saddened by the poignant story you relate about your son. And I am familiar with many other similar stories of individuals stricken by this mysterious illness.

Your note arrived in my inbox yesterday just as I was reviewing the final draft of a highly relevant press release that was posted a half hour ago – see http://www.nih.gov/news/health/oct2015/od-29.htm

I am determined to see NIH ramp up the investment in finding the cause, and ultimately the cure. This will not be an easy road, of course. But many of us here are determined to try. We want to be the National Institutes of Hope for all of those with ME/CFS.

With personal best wishes to you, your husband, and your son,

Francis Collins