• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nicotinamide Nausea & Liver

Hi everyone,

Wondered if anyone could help me understand my reaction to b3 niacinamide (nicotinamide)? If I take 250mg I feel more tired which I know could be to do with its effects on gaba and serotonin etc etc. But I also feel slightly nauseous and lightheaded. I have read that nicotinamide can slow down detox pathway 1 and can help with MCS. I am wondering in light of this and of what Dr Myhill warns about high doses (see below)could this show that I have a slow detox pathway 1 ?

'The dose of niacinamide
To get these therapeutic effects, one has to use niacinamide in much higher doses than the recommended daily allowances. Because it is so short acting, the best effects are achieved through small doses taken regularly throughout the day. However, this is tiresome and I have managed to source a good slow release preparation, which can be found on my online sales website here - 1500mg slow release Niacinamide Up to 500mg daily can be taken without any ill effects. In doses above this, there will be a few people who will develop abnormal liver enzymes and this is almost invariably accompanied by a feeling of nausea. In this event, therefore, check liver function tests. Having said that, I have recommended niacinamide to hundreds of patients and have yet to see any abnormal liver function tests. I think this is because side effects and problems with drugs and nutritional supplements almost invariably arise as a result of nutritional deficiencies. Since I like to start all my patients on a basic package of nutritional supplements see Nutritional Supplements, this situation is very unlikely to arise. This potential issue is also mitigated by the use of a time release preparation.'

Thank you for any advice. Please keep it simple if possible brain very dead!

Eastman

@wiltedflower77

Fatigue, nausea and dizziness are known side effects of high niacinamide dosages. I don't know whether they necessarily indicate liver problems.

A daily dose of 250 mg does not seem a particularly high dosage of niacinamide. Did you start with that dosage? Sometimes, people may experience problems with a supplement when starting with high dosages but react better if they titrate up the dosage gradually.

Safety of high-dose nicotinamide: a review

Ema

As others have said, niacinamide can cause nausea. Why not try the time release? I take 2000 mg of the TR at bedtime to help with sleep. I wouldn't take it during the day.

Thanks for your replies both. @Eastman I only take half or quarter a 250mg nicotinamide at the moment. I just thought it strange that just one pill gives me nausea, which is why I thought maybe I have a slow detox pathway 1. Niacin( nicotinic acid) speeds up pathway 1 so I may try that and see how I feel. It's strange I took between 250mg -500mg nicotinamide for a couple of years with no noticeable effects good or bad which is why I stopped it for about a year. I suppose I was hoping someone who knows a lot about the liver detox pathways might respond to this post and shed some light for me.