• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nickel detox, help needed please!

ukme

I have just had yet another test back showing that my daughter has significant nickel toxicity. I need to sort this out as it's clearly creating huge problems for her health.

Has anyone on here successfully got rid of nickel and if so how?

The Breakspear hospital offer IV Chelation, but is it possible to take tablets for it rather than go this route. Does Prof de Meirleir do this for example?

Would really appreciate any help you can give me on this, many thanks.

caledonia

I wouldn't touch an IV with a 10 foot barge pole.

Chelex, a pill made by Xymogen, is what I used for lead and mercury chelation.

You may want to consider seeing if her methylation cycle has a partial block before chelating, by getting the Vitamin Diagnostics Methylation Panel. See Rich Van Konynenburg's research, theory and protocol if you're not familiar with it.

I chelated before learning about the partial methylation cycle block. I had to go very slowly and carefully but I was able to tolerate the Chelex. I had very bad side effects from the FIR sauna (chest pains for 2 years), and I barely tried it.

ukme

Many thanks fo your replies. Why wouldn't you touch IV with a 10foot barge pole caledonia? I will look up your other suggestions, thanks.

consuegra, have tried zinc for a year now (Myhill) but problem is persisting. Fir sauna has not been something I think she can put up with unfortunately, but will look into the cookware, thanks for that.

richvank

I have just had yet another test back showing that my daughter has significant nickel toxicity. I need to sort this out as it's clearly creating huge problems for her health.

Has anyone on here successfully got rid of nickel and if so how?

The Breakspear hospital offer IV Chelation, but is it possible to take tablets for it rather than go this route. Does Prof de Meirleir do this for example?

Would really appreciate any help you can give me on this, many thanks.

Hi, ukme.

As caledonia and susan have mentioned, getting the methylation cycle running normally should help with nickel toxicity.
The reason is that when the methylation cycle comes back up, glutathione is allowed to return to normal levels,
and glutathione is what normally conjugates with nickel and other toxic metals to take them out of the body.
In the Acumen tests, which I'm guessing that you are referring to, often the nickel is found to be partially conjugated
with glutathione. I think the reason is that there is not enough glutathione present to completely bind the nickel
ions and take them out. I think it requires two glutathione molecules to fully bind a nickel ion.

Elsewhere on the forum I have described the Simplified Treatment Approach for lifting the partial methylation cycle
block. I have interacted in the past with people from Breakspear hospital, so I think they are aware of this.
Dr. Myhill in Wales has incorporated treatment of the partial methylation cycle block in her overall protocol for
some patients, also.

I hope this helps.

Rich

Misfit Toy

It's all so complicated. I came back with the methylation being the problem but got sick of the creeping of time that it takes to fix that. The small amts of Folapro etc. And yet, they are right! I just did an IV for lead of EDTA. It's hard on the body and I just wrote about it. I may have to go through the route of doing the methylation first. Yet again!

Wayne

Hi Ukme,

A couple of comments about nickel detox. I myself have been doing clay foot baths for about 2-3 years now, and feel they have helped me (safely) detox a significant amount of my mercury and nickel load. I first learned about clay foot baths at a website company called Evenbetternow.

This company was founded by a woman who claims to have used her described protocols to recover from CFS and then sometime later, interstitial cystitis. I have found her website to be quite a treasure trove of information regarding heavy metal detoxification and how important it is when addressing any kind of neurological disorder.

I feel I have been able to detoxify a large amount of nickel and mercury from my system. I believe most of the mercury resulted from the numerous amalgam fillings I had for many years, and the nickel toxicity from the numerous metal crowns I had. I've had all of them replaced with safer materials.

Good luck to you and your daughter.

Regards, Wayne

BTW, the woman at Evenbetternow, is also a big believer in using far infrared (FIR) saunas to assist with heavy metal detox. My own sauna experience in the past several months is indicating to me that FIRS are an important tool in my own detoxification efforts.

susan

Wayne,
What kind of Fir sauna do you use......I see those plastic cage like ones cheap on Ebay and wonder are they effective. There is not one close by me but maybe I could buy one of those plastic kind of ones....but do they leach plastic? What do you know about hem?

aquariusgirl

I showed up with nickel being a problem on the Acumen tests. My most recent fecal metals test (i think it was an ftm rather than utm) showed elevated nickel.. ie I was dumping nickel...(yellow band not green) so I was pleased.

been doing methylation support for 3 years now. I was in verrry bad shape to begin with though.

carolwxyz99

I showed up as being nickel toxic - raised in blood, attached to glutathione transferase, inside mitochondria, nickel DNA adducts.

I managed to get rid of the nickel - got monitored by testing DNA adducts.

I started doing FIR saunas, but they did not get rid of all of it. I then took 1 g l-methionine a day. Apparently there is a new protocol which also includes glutathione which is on Dr M's website.

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Nickel_-_toxicity_and_detoxing

Dr JMH told me that the l-methionine binds directly to the nickel.

I also had urinary nickel levels monitored while doing this - I think it took about 2 months. I felt a bit worse for the first few days, but apart from that I felt better during the detox.