• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nickel Detox: Dr. John McLaren-Howard's protocol?

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
All symptoms and signals point to me having low SOD levels. I have SOD SNPs. I also seems very allergic to nickel jewelry and get rashes. I have had low zinc levels, confirmed by lab tests.

Therefore this protocol recommended by Dr. Myhill looks interesting. Has anyone tried it?

How would taking methinone impact me taking other methylation supplements? (currently B12 Oil and 400mcg methylfolate).
---------------
  • John McLaren-Howard suggests the following regime:
Make sure your nutritional supplement regime includes zinc - up to a total of 30mgs daily.

FOR ONE WEEK
  • Take L-methionine 500mgs 15-30 mins before breakfast
  • Take L-glutathione 500mgs after breakfast
  • Ensure daily zinc intake is 30mgs
FOR ONE MONTH
  • Repeat at lunch time
FOR ONE FURTHER MONTH
Indeed, this is also a good regime for many heavy metals because they behave similarly to Ni! For mercury I would use the same regime but in addition to zinc also take selenium 500 mcgms daily.

Last edited:

PeterPositive

If you have enough active B12 in the system (and no methyl-blocks) the methionine shouldn't be a problem.
You could check your homocysteine levels before starting the protocol and re-test again 15-30 days later. If it's significantly elevated you may have some methylation issues, preventing the Hcy to convert back in the methionine synthase cycle.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
@ahmo

here's the protocol at the bottom:
  • John McLaren-Howard suggests the following regime:
Make sure your nutritional supplement regime includes zinc - up to a total of 30mgs daily.

FOR ONE WEEK
FOR ONE MONTH
  • Repeat at lunch time
FOR ONE FURTHER MONTH
Indeed, this is also a good regime for many heavy metals because they behave similarly to Ni! For mercury I would use the same regime but in addition to zinc also take selenium 500 mcgms daily.