• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nice article from Llewellyn King (talks about recent studies and CFS history)

Jemal

Another nice article from Llewellyn King. Some random quotes:

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a name that infuriates patients, who number perhaps 1 million to 4 million in the United States and 17 million worldwide. It also frustrates the small but dedicated cadre of doctors and researchers who have made the disease and its casualties their concern.

The new name quickly became despised because it trivializes the disease and misleads people, in the words of Leonard Jason, professor of psychology at DePaul University in Chicago. Certainly it brings to mind chronic whiners and everyone's everyday fatigue.

For most patients, CFS is a one-way ticket to hell. The affliction is acute and mostly incurable. Horrifically, it takes away even life's littlest pleasures.

Very long article:

http://www.realclearscience.com/art...fatigue_syndrome_is_misunderstood_106242.html

Boule de feu

I love this part!

"For most patients, CFS is a one-way ticket to hell. The affliction is acute and mostly incurable. Horrifically, it takes away even life's littlest pleasures.

According to many interviews and hundreds of e-mails I have received since first covering the disease, sufferers are hit first with symptoms of what seems to be flu. Sometimes there is a short, deceptive remission -- sometimes two or three. Then the pattern emerges of collapse after every exertion, especially exercise. Finally, full onset occurs: There are no more normal days, only different degrees of weakness, pain and other symptoms. Doctors term the disease relapsing and remitting. That means you might have weeks, months or years of slightly better days, and then stretches -- often years, sometimes decades -- of almost total helplessness. It is goodbye to the life you have known; goodbye to work, to hobbies, to lovers and spouses, to everything short of hope."

It says it all.

Enid

Thanks jemal - a lovely positive understanding article (much needed at this time).

Sasha

Fine, thank you
It's a really superb article - we're very lucky to have this guy's interest. Please visit his page to give him the traffic and leave positive comments.

I would like to leave a comment promoting supporting WPI in the Vivint contest and if it's in the first few posts it should get lots of attention but although I've signed up, the site is just hanging for me - I can't leave my comment.

Can someone else please try in case the problem persists for me? I was going to give the link to Cort's article about Vivint, which is:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/show...h-II-The-1.25-million-Vivint-Facebook-Contest

justinreilly

The comment process messed up for me too. This is probably the best article I've read on ME (other than by Hillary Johnson).